Skip to main content

Featured

A Closer Look at Winter Damage

But first, take a look at this gorgeous rainbow that we had on Friday! The five-day stretch of warm temperatures last week really jump-started the garden. Now that plants are putting out new growth, it is easier to see what kind of damage the winter left. Back in mid-January, we experienced five straight days of below-freezing temperatures. This caused much damage in Portland and areas where frigid winds were a factor. Here, we were fortunate to not get the wind and the cold temperatures were dampened by a blanket of snow. That said, it was a tough time for the garden and there are noticeable casualties but no outright deaths that I have seen. The bottlebrush ( Callistemon 'Woodlander's Red') did not like the cold at all. It was planted six years ago, in the north-facing garden no less, and I've not experienced die-back on it until now. A local expert said to cut it all the way back so that is what I did. If it doesn't make it, I won't be too distraught. It is

A Twig / Brush Fence


My latest project is a simple one but has been weeks in the making. I've been suffering from a bad sinus infection and on top of that, the weather has been really cold and wet.  For now, I'm finished, only because I'm out of twigs. 

This is our back property line, a chain-link fence and a row of overgrown photinias that have never been pruned property (thus they have become small trees). The previous owners had attached one of those willow/bamboo screens to the fence which helped tremendously in screening the houses behind us. However, the fence is only about 5' high and since we are elevated a bit, it did little to provide much privacy. The plant growth during the summer months help but, even though the photinias are evergreen, they are not dense enough around the bottom to provide much cover.

I've long wanted to put up a paneled fence or, if money wasn't an issue, I would go with a stone wall.  Either choice would be expensive and tricky. It is a long area to cover and the many of the photinias have sent massive trunks that would be in the path of any structure. Removing the photinias is also an option but we can't stand the thought of having absolutely nothing along that fenceline. At least the photinias give height and some visual interest. I am removing them slowly and adding more interesting evergreen shrubs but this is a gradual process.

A few weeks ago, the thought of a twig fence struck me like a bolt of lightening. I have a lot of branches lying about and our neighbor had just cut down a tree and he said I could have the wood. An online search revealed some interesting options, including some beautifully woven designs. In the end, I decided to go for the fast and instant option - just stacking the branches up and securing them with rebar. 

The past few days have been dry so, despite the lingering sinus problem, I solved the problem as well as my cabin fever by getting outside. The project is still not finished but I got about halfway across the back but at least I covered the lower area and now we only see our neighbor's roof. Until I get more branches, I will have to halt that project for now.



Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. It is funny that you posted this project now. I have hated the chain link fencing that we put up when our wooden fence fell apart. It makes our garden much too open to the street. I have been reading about these twig fences. How they are good for wildlife etc and it keeps this type of debris out of the landfills. I have wondered about starting one myself. I didn't know what to use to keep it together. Of course rebar is inexpensive and durable. It will last longer than the twigs. I like the look of these twig fences. I hope you get to feeling well soon. Working outside is good for you if you can stand it but don't over do. So says the Momma in me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I noticed immediately that birds were all over it. I keep twig piles around because they love them so much, especially the towhees.

      Delete
  2. It's a very cool idea, finding a new purpose for otherwise discarded garden material. Making a natural bird shelter in the process is the cherry on this recycling cake.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts