Skip to main content

Featured

The Garden Awakens

Anise 'Woodland Red' ( Illicium floridanum ) A few weeks ago, I thought spring would never arrive, but now the change is astonishing. The nights are still cold (40s and sometimes even 30s) so planting tender annuals and vegetables is unwise although I have already succumbed, but covering and uncovering things gets old quickly. Someone made a wise comment last week and I must agree with them - "Don't plant anything tender until after May 1". Several plants are blooming like never before. One is the Anise shrub (above and below). I don't know if the recent tree pruning, which is allowing more sun into the woodland path, is affecting it or perhaps it is just age, but I've never seen so many blooms. Michael refers to this as "the stinky fish shrub" and I have to admit to smell of the flowers is quite unpleasant. It is so beautiful that I can overlook that. The old pink dogwood tree, which was already here, shades our woodland path and it too is prett

The Wall Project



Apparently there is an issue with Blogger and photos are not showing up. They are working on the issue.

So, the above photo that you probably cannot see at the moment, is one of the wall project. We've had some really nice days to work on it. I am ready for it to be over. It is a project that I wish I had hired a professional to do. I am just not cut out for this type of work! Thankfully, the wall will be stuccoed and painted to hide the imperfections (and there are many!)


Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. I hadn't realised blogger is having picture problems. A picture vanished from one of my recent posts so I replaced it. I thought it must have been something to do with the way I'd loaded it. Though come to think of it I have visited one blog today where ALL the photos had gone. Yours, fortunately, is here. That wall looks as if it has an impressively regular curve. Hard work. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see your photo Phillip. Most of the pictures left my blog too. That is so annoying.
    Your wall looks great from here. I know it will be wonderful when you finish. Can't wait to see what color and how high you make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just looked at the photo again. Is that wall serpentine? I sure looks like it. No wonder it is so difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see your wall. I am impressed and amazed you took it on as a DIY project. I'd be hopeless at masonry. What is the tree to the left of the wall? An Acer palmatum? Lovely dainty, graceful!

    Also like the rubber duckies in the water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The photos from GBBD are visible today (weren’t a few days ago), as is today’s “teaser “photo. Not sure what flaws you see in this major undertaking. The wall looks pretty darn fabulous to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Back when our patio and retaining wall was going in Andrew and I thought we'd build the wall ourselves. The first trip to Home Depot for supplies and we abandoned that idea and hired professionals (we did put in the patio ourselves). Our wall wouldn't have lasted the first winter I'm afraid (or maybe our marriage wouldn't have lasted the wall construction?). On the other had your wall looks amazing! You (and Michael) should be proud.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts