Skip to main content

Featured

Upcoming Plant Sales

There will be FOUR events in the next few weeks, so mark your calendars and be sure to stop by one (or all!) of them. All proceeds help benefit our local schools. Each of the sales will offer native plants (note that some are not on the Portland Plant List). Please see below for more details about each sale! Fort Vancouver High School Plant Sale: Wednesday, April 24, 8am-6pm, Thursday, April 25, 8am-5pm and Friday, April 26, 8am-4pm Native plants available: Trees:  Cascara, Oregon White Oak, Vine Maple, Douglas Fir, Western Hemlock, Western Red Cedar;  Shrubs:  Mock Orange, Flowering Red Currant, Red Twig Dogwood, Cascade Oregon Grape, Baldhip Rose, Nootka Rose, Douglas Spirea, Thimbleberry , Serviceberry, Red Elderberry, Blue Elderberry, Black Hawthorn, Salmonberry, Golden Currant, Smooth Sumac, Salal;  Groundcovers : Western Yarrow, Wild Ginger, Sword Fern, Goldenrod, Blue-Eyed Grass, Soft Fruited Bulrush, Tufted Hair Grass, Oregon Sunshine, Maidenhair Fern, Checkermallow, Sedum Spat

Garden Blogger's Bloom Day - April 2020

Camellia 'Unryu


April 15th is here and it is time for Gardener Bloggers Bloom Day. Head over to May Dreams Gardens blog to find links to more blogger's posts.

It has been a beautiful week here with temperatures in the 60s and bright, sunny days. I have started my main project of the year, a garden wall to separate two areas. It is absolutely horrendous at the moment and any decent mason would get a big laugh at it. I can never get anything level and true to form, the entire wall is currently going downhill. More on that later. In the meantime, here are some blooms for the garden this week.

I am starting out with a new plant. This is Camassia and it is a native.


Dicentra 'Gold Heart' (Bleeding Heart) popped up really quickly. I swear it was nowhere to be seen last week.


Mukdenia - a plant that I thought had died but here it is -


An epimedium - possibly 'Sulphurium' -


The rhododendrons have started to bloom. This is 'Taurus' and it has doubled in size and bloom count from last year.

Rhododendron 'Taurus'



Here is another red one - 'Hill's Bright Red'. I purchased this one from the Rhododendron Society when I visited the Molly and Cecil Smith garden last year.


This is a small one called 'Ramapo'. It lives in the front garden by the front window.


'Blue Baron' has the most dramatic color. The shrub itself, however, is very puny.


A lot of people dogged the Schipka Laurel (Prunus laurocerasus 'Schipkaensis') when I posted a photo of it on Facebook. They said it smelled bad and reseeded everywhere. I'm not complaining about it yet. I actually find the smell pleasant and haven't noticed any seedlings. The blooms are quite stunning and the bees love it.



The Purple Wallflower (Erysimum linifolium 'Bowles Mauve') -


I also just planted a red wallflower that was so beautiful in the greenhouse at work. Since putting it in the garden, the color has faded to a dusty orange.


I am leaving you with tulips. I have a varied selection. I thought I was planting all orange tulips last fall but it turns out not all are orange.





Text and photos by Phillip Oliver

Comments

  1. Those big rhodies are beautiful. Since you posted about the blue rhodie I read up about it. It doesn't seem that many people who have planted it likes it due to the puny plant. That blue captures many imaginations. It seems like this year I have read more about people planting a certain color of tulip and getting something else. Must have been in the packing last year. Doesn't really matter to me they are all beautiful! Happy GBBD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the rhododendrons and the large-flowered tulips, although I can't grow either. That 'blue Baron' rhododendron is incredible! Best wishes with the wall project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am envious after seeing so many varieties of tulips growing at your place Philip since I have failed miserably many times in growing tulips at my area.Those rhododendrons are startling wish I could grow them here but they won't survive our harsh summer days.Happy blooms day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I formerly lived in a hot and humid climate and rhododendrons certainly don't do as well in those conditions.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I do love that bleeding heart. I really must add one to my garden. And those rhododendrons are the star of the show, aren't they? Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blooms are all lovely. You are a bit ahead of us with Rhododendron and Skip Laurel so I am enjoying the preview of what's to come. Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have some white Camassia - (they do not do well in part shade.) But blue - you have much blue in spring.
    -Ray

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dang - for some reason, I can only read your text, and not view your gorgeous photos. So, for now, I have to rely on my imagination. Will try to check back later. Happy Spring, Phillip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, apparently it is an issue with Blogger. Hopefully they will get it fixed soon.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts