Skip to main content

Featured

The Garden Awakens

Anise 'Woodland Red' ( Illicium floridanum ) A few weeks ago, I thought spring would never arrive, but now the change is astonishing. The nights are still cold (40s and sometimes even 30s) so planting tender annuals and vegetables is unwise although I have already succumbed, but covering and uncovering things gets old quickly. Someone made a wise comment last week and I must agree with them - "Don't plant anything tender until after May 1". Several plants are blooming like never before. One is the Anise shrub (above and below). I don't know if the recent tree pruning, which is allowing more sun into the woodland path, is affecting it or perhaps it is just age, but I've never seen so many blooms. Michael refers to this as "the stinky fish shrub" and I have to admit to smell of the flowers is quite unpleasant. It is so beautiful that I can overlook that. The old pink dogwood tree, which was already here, shades our woodland path and it too is prett

Spreading Manure


It was a beautiful day to work in the garden - sunny and in the upper 40s. I was motivated to get out and move after stepping on the scales this morning and facing the grim reality of having gained 6 pounds. So I went for a long walk around the neighborhood. Upon returning home, I received a message from a lady who had posted that she had horse manure available. 

It turns out that she wasn't that far from me. The manure is absolutely beautiful and it was still smoking when I got home with it. I managed to spread almost all of it. I've had pain in my upper arm and shoulder for almost 3 months now but I didn't let that deter me and surprisingly, it is not bothering me at the moment. However, it hurts mostly after I go to bed.

There is still some beauty to behold in the late November garden.

This is the last Japanese maple to have most of its leaves. I planted two of these right off our deck shortly after we moved in. These were labeled as "seedling" maples. I guess you don't have to have a fancy name for beauty.


Miscanthus sinensis 'Little Miss'


Hydrangea quercifolia 'Ruby Slippers'


Mugo Pine 'Aurea' (Pinus mugo)

Ceanothus 'Berryhill' and Parahebe perfoliata

Ironwood (Parrotia)

New Zealand Flax (Phormium)

The retaining wall along the driveway is a work in progress. I keep playing around and changing things. I'm finally getting good trailing plants. On the far left is a mandevilla and I'm surprised that it is still alive. I have not been successful with trying to overwinter them so I'm going to leave it. I'm also giving up, after two previous tries, of growing mandevilla up the mailbox. It blooms nicely but fails to gain much height. I don't think it is hot enough here for it to flourish. I would love to try bougainvillea but I suspect it would not do much here either.

Sassafras


Spirea 'Ogon'

And finally, this thing! This is one of those "spikes" that are sold at our nursery to go in mixed containers. It has overwintered for three years now and it is at least 5 ft. tall. I don't like it in this location so I don't know what to do with it.



 Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. I can't imagine spreading a truckload of manure, beautiful or not. I love the Japanese maple and so wish I had more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There’s nothing better for the garden. Now that my horses are retired that’s the most useful thing they do, other than being beautiful pasture ornaments.

    The Japanese maple is glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see the steam coming off your load of manure, a hot commodity. I would love to have a load of that myself. Here is a song to entertain ...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlqB1SOjknM&ab_channel=PeteSeeger-Topic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you will think about this song every time someone, including you, is slinging manure in their garden. ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts