Skip to main content

Featured

A Closer Look at Winter Damage

But first, take a look at this gorgeous rainbow that we had on Friday! The five-day stretch of warm temperatures last week really jump-started the garden. Now that plants are putting out new growth, it is easier to see what kind of damage the winter left. Back in mid-January, we experienced five straight days of below-freezing temperatures. This caused much damage in Portland and areas where frigid winds were a factor. Here, we were fortunate to not get the wind and the cold temperatures were dampened by a blanket of snow. That said, it was a tough time for the garden and there are noticeable casualties but no outright deaths that I have seen. The bottlebrush ( Callistemon 'Woodlander's Red') did not like the cold at all. It was planted six years ago, in the north-facing garden no less, and I've not experienced die-back on it until now. A local expert said to cut it all the way back so that is what I did. If it doesn't make it, I won't be too distraught. It is

Rain!


Some much needed rain today but of course it would rain - our garden was advertised as being open on the HPSO Open Gardens Tour. That is being done by appointments because of Covid and we only have a few visitors coming (that is, if they come). We also have it on the schedule for tomorrow and next week and maybe the week after that (I forget).

But I'm not going to complain about the rain one bit. It is desperately needed. April was the driest month on record here and May was looking to be the same until now.

I don't like a wet garden but at least the lighting is good for photography and the plants look refreshed. 


 


 


 


 


 


 Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. I'd have absolutely no hesitation (short of booming thunder and lightning perhaps) to visit your open garden on account of rain, Phillip, were I not 1000+miles away. Congratulations on the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy that you got some rain! Your garden won't disappoint even in the rain. I bet the tourists will show up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy for you that you got precious rainfall. Your garden looks stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy visiting your garden virtually. Only 1/2 inch of rain here in Virginia until this week leaves the garden gasping during a prime growing season. I expect perennials to not be spectacular this year even with my sorry watering attempts.
    -Ray

    ReplyDelete
  5. How many cutleaf sumac does your stunning garden grow? Wonderful to get rain. Beautiful planting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, there is one in the ground and two in pots (I think). The two potted ones came from the big one.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts