Skip to main content

Featured

Professional Pruning

I rarely resort to hiring help in the garden but I'm learning that sometimes it is wise to do so and worth every penny. Case in point - some hideous out-of-control trees that were beyond my ability to deal with. If I were smarter, I would have tackled these issues from the beginning but I didn't know better. The first is a pear tree that was planted along the back fence line. I've worked on this for the past several years, every year with the intent of reducing the height or possibly removing it altogether. As you can see in the photo, I had cut back everything but three limbs and finally realized that it would be dangerous for me to try and bring them down. The limbs grow straight up into the air and the remaining three are about 20 feet tall.  After -- there is a hole in the sky view but the tree should fill in nicely for a good screen and I can keep it trimmed down from this point forward. Farther down along the fence line, and the view from the deck, are two massive pho

Garden Blogger's Bloom Day - September 2021

Hibiscus 'Midnight Marvel'

Last week I wrote about the joys of new Abba and Vera and this week there is more excitement - we have rain in the forecast! And the possibility of a good rain - at least one inch. Keep your fingers crossed for us. We are in dire need of it and I'm sure the plants would be overjoyed as well.

Despite the drought, there are lots of blooms in the September garden. I will start with the container plants which get daily watering. Note to self - less containers next year.

Two matching baskets hang on the pergola - they are filled with Begonia 'Bonfire' and Fan Flower (Scaevola).


I don't remember the name of this begonia. I've overwintered it for the past two winters in the garage.


 

I tried to overwinter Hell's Bells (Datura) last year but it didn't make it. We liked it so much that I got another one this year.

Oxalis 'Plum Crazy'


Another beautiful begonia (a customer recommended this one) and an overloaded fuchsia at the top. The fuchsias have not done as well this year but this one is outstanding. The plectranthus in the middle has never bloomed.

 

Some new plants in the ground -

 

Autumn Sage 'Mirage Soft Pink' (Salvia greggii) - I love this plant. I just planted it about a month ago and it has really taken off.

 

Trachelium caeruleum Hamer Pandora (Blue Throatwart) (Blue Lace Flower) is planted in three different places. Results have been mixed but what a beautiful color!


 

Aster ageratoides 'Starshine'

Rose 'The Fairy' - I grew this one in Alabama. I picked another one up during a weak moment at the nursery.

 Older plants in bloom -

Boltonia 'Snowbank' - planted in the Pan Garden where it is much too tall but I love it. It takes forever for the blooms to open. It just started blooming last week. 


Angelonia and Aster 'Kickin' Purple


Rose 'Home Run' and Aster 'Wood's Purple'


Caryopteris 'Good as Gold' - love this plant so much and so do the bees. The phlox is either 'Purple Kiss' or 'Blue Paradise'.


 

Hybrid musk rose 'Cornelia' enjoying another flush

 

'Darlow's Enigma' rose on the pergola.

 

Dicliptera suberecta (Uruguayan firecracker plant) - moved this year and it is performing much better.


 

Solidago 'Fireworks' (Goldenrod) in the front border. Another transplant. Such an easy and rewarding plant.

 

Another Goldenrod, this one in the back garden next to Cistis 'Mickey'

Hardy Begonia

 

 

Honeysuckle (Lonicera americana)

 

Rudbeckia 'Goldsturm'

 

Turtlehead 'Hot Lips' (Chelone)

 

Veronica baldwinii (Western Ironweed)

 

Lantana 'Miss Huff' - how is this for overgrown? She just won't quit!

Check out May Dreams Gardens for more bloggers sharing their blooms.

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. As much as I envy the flowers in your garden I don't have a chance of growing under present circumstances, like those luscious flowering begonias, I think I envy your rain forecast even more. Envious or not, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blooms! And such vibrant colors! Love them all!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I chuckled at your "Note to self - less containers next year". I doubt it's possible; with the success of your pots, whether hanging or standing, it'll be hard to cut back. Your Oxalis is indeed crazy beautiful, the vignettes with the Aster are stunning, and my favorite: the photo with the Hybrid musk rose 'Cornelia': Yowza!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Your garden is so incredibly colorful for September! Love your container plants. I'm a big begonia fan but don't have enough shade close to the house for them to be grown in containers. My fireworks goldenrod spreads everywhere but it is such a great plant I don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your September gardens are so beautiful with all the flowers. Goldenrods always attract many insects, and I was wondering if Fireworks Goldenrod sends out runners or is clump forming? I know that feeling about watering pots. I have twenty-six of them after I got rid of a few last year. They still keep me busy with watering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, it seems to be clump forming. It spread out a little and I have transplanted pieces in other areas.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts