Skip to main content

Featured

Upcoming Plant Sales

There will be FOUR events in the next few weeks, so mark your calendars and be sure to stop by one (or all!) of them. All proceeds help benefit our local schools. Each of the sales will offer native plants (note that some are not on the Portland Plant List). Please see below for more details about each sale! Fort Vancouver High School Plant Sale: Wednesday, April 24, 8am-6pm, Thursday, April 25, 8am-5pm and Friday, April 26, 8am-4pm Native plants available: Trees:  Cascara, Oregon White Oak, Vine Maple, Douglas Fir, Western Hemlock, Western Red Cedar;  Shrubs:  Mock Orange, Flowering Red Currant, Red Twig Dogwood, Cascade Oregon Grape, Baldhip Rose, Nootka Rose, Douglas Spirea, Thimbleberry , Serviceberry, Red Elderberry, Blue Elderberry, Black Hawthorn, Salmonberry, Golden Currant, Smooth Sumac, Salal;  Groundcovers : Western Yarrow, Wild Ginger, Sword Fern, Goldenrod, Blue-Eyed Grass, Soft Fruited Bulrush, Tufted Hair Grass, Oregon Sunshine, Maidenhair Fern, Checkermallow, Sedum Spat

Private Gardens of the Pacific Northwest - A Book Review



I have been so excited this week with various entertainment media. First, I got the news that Abba had released two songs after a 40-year absence. I've been a huge fan since I was a teenager and I'm in hog heaven. I've already ordered the CD which will be out in November. 

Next up, a brand new season of "Vera"!!

And finally, a wonderful new book that showcases 20 private gardens in Washington and Oregon. I got an advance copy to review and I've been trying to savor it slowly. Books of this nature used to appear frequently but it seems that they are few and far between these days. 

This is a beautiful hardcover coffee table book that measures 11 x 9 1/2". The gardens cover a diverse range of types and sizes, from lush multi-acre gardens to small city lots. Various gardening styles are represented, from the whimsical to the exotic. The majority of the gardens are located in northern Washington in the Puget Sound region with five from the Portland area.

The Lane Garden in Medina, Washington (photo by William Wright, used with permission by Gibbs Smith)


Each garden is covered in a dozen pages that discusses the garden owner, the history of the garden and a description of plants and features. The book is lushly illustrated with stunning photography.

The Stockett Garden in Vashon Island, Washington (photo by William Wright, used with permission by Gibbs Smith)

 

Written by Brian Coleman (an editor at large with Old House Journal and photography by William Wright. A foreword by Art Wolfe whose Seattle Japanese garden is featured in the book.

The White Garden in Redmond, Washington (photo by William Wright, used with permission by Gibbs Smith)

 This is a stunning book and would make a great gift for the garden lover (Christmas will be here soon!).


Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. I have been collecting books such as this. Since One can't travel without worrying about ones health I decided to collect books about gardens in the US. I say US but I have bought a couple about gardens in other countries. I am making lists of places I want to go. Gardens I want to see when ever...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I can hear the drums, Fernando..."
    I also a grew up with ABBA, and am over the moon excited that Vera is back. She is one of the best characters in detective dramas. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just received my copy of this book yesterday so thanks for the preview! I periodically dream of moving north (especially when the drought gets as bad as it is here now). I'm trying to convince my brother-in-law (and my husband) of the value in building a tiny vacation house on his property on Vashon ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I would like to go farther north. I think the Vashon idea is a good one.

      Delete
  4. Dear Husband is ABBA fan, I'm the 'Vera' fan. Thanks for the heads up on that--haven't heard about it.

    The glorious Hakone grass on the book's cover--puts my little tuft to shame!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts