Skip to main content

Featured

Professional Pruning

I rarely resort to hiring help in the garden but I'm learning that sometimes it is wise to do so and worth every penny. Case in point - some hideous out-of-control trees that were beyond my ability to deal with. If I were smarter, I would have tackled these issues from the beginning but I didn't know better. The first is a pear tree that was planted along the back fence line. I've worked on this for the past several years, every year with the intent of reducing the height or possibly removing it altogether. As you can see in the photo, I had cut back everything but three limbs and finally realized that it would be dangerous for me to try and bring them down. The limbs grow straight up into the air and the remaining three are about 20 feet tall.  After -- there is a hole in the sky view but the tree should fill in nicely for a good screen and I can keep it trimmed down from this point forward. Farther down along the fence line, and the view from the deck, are two massive pho

Creating a Pebble Mosaic



I've long admired pebble mosaics but never had the confidence to build one myself. Michael is more adventurous in these matters and was eager to take it on. The grass on the south tip of green strip in the Pan garden always looked bad after the winter months and I suspect the ground there is wetter. After we edged the borders with stones, I had an idea of replacing the tip of the grassy area with a pebble mosaic.

First, Michael hand selected some river rocks (from Yard N' Garden Land, of course).




First the base was created by digging down about 4-5 inches and filling in with a layer of paver gravel and a layer of sand






A layer of mortar mix was added on the top layer and smoothed out. 





Misting is an important step and must be continually done as the pebbles are applied.


I drew the design out on paper and Michael watched a YouTube video and learned that drawing out the design with a stick would be helpful.



Of course, doing it several times may be required to get what you want.


More misting and the beginnings of putting in the stones.


With Michael on one side and me on the other, it occurred to me that our drawing styles might not match. 

Michael's sprial ....




My spiral....




Michael's stones were also deeper than mine initially so I applied more muscle. We then started swapping sides as we progressed. 



After completing it, a coat of wet-look sealer was applied to the stones a day later.


I'm pleased with the results but for me, it was stressful work and getting down on my hands and knees is very taxing these days. I'm not sure if I'd want to tackle another project like this although Michael loved doing it and said he was ready for another one.

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. It looks great! I love the pebble mosaics but no, I am probably beyond the stage where I could / would do it. Hurray for Michael. Hope he does more. Hurray for you, too, Phillip, for sacrificing your knees and back for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done you two! I'm with you and this kind of thing would really stress me out. How nice that Michael enjoyed the work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I think it is great! I can't imagine being down on my knees for the time that it would take to make one of these. It sure looks like it is worth the misery. Carry on Michael...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The two of you did a beautiful job! I'm suitably impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very cool: I love mosaic but rather fear I don't have the nerve to try it. Maybe on a small scale, like a single stepping stone... Good to have a partner that push you a little and I love how you switched sides while working, mixing up your styles its just perfect. I'd love to see what Michale comes up with next.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bravo! It looks wonderful. Great that Michael has an interest and involvement in your garden, too. It's lovely to collaborate on projects

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bravo à vous deux, excellent travail, le rendu est très beau ♥

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts