Skip to main content

Featured

Upcoming Plant Sales

There will be FOUR events in the next few weeks, so mark your calendars and be sure to stop by one (or all!) of them. All proceeds help benefit our local schools. Each of the sales will offer native plants (note that some are not on the Portland Plant List). Please see below for more details about each sale! Fort Vancouver High School Plant Sale: Wednesday, April 24, 8am-6pm, Thursday, April 25, 8am-5pm and Friday, April 26, 8am-4pm Native plants available: Trees:  Cascara, Oregon White Oak, Vine Maple, Douglas Fir, Western Hemlock, Western Red Cedar;  Shrubs:  Mock Orange, Flowering Red Currant, Red Twig Dogwood, Cascade Oregon Grape, Baldhip Rose, Nootka Rose, Douglas Spirea, Thimbleberry , Serviceberry, Red Elderberry, Blue Elderberry, Black Hawthorn, Salmonberry, Golden Currant, Smooth Sumac, Salal;  Groundcovers : Western Yarrow, Wild Ginger, Sword Fern, Goldenrod, Blue-Eyed Grass, Soft Fruited Bulrush, Tufted Hair Grass, Oregon Sunshine, Maidenhair Fern, Checkermallow, Sedum Spat

Edging the Pan Garden



A long overdue project is in the bag. I've always thought that the Pan Garden (the small garden right off the deck and the very first area I created in this garden) would look better with a rock edging. For years, we've put up with the heavy plastic edging and while it does keep the grass from creeping into the beds, it doesn't stay in place that well and stone looks so much better. 

Before -



After - 



Michael is to be credited with this - he did virtually all the work. I transported the pavers from the truck to the garden and helped dispose of the soil he removed. Here he is hard at work - 


We have more of the plastic edging around the front pathway and borders that I would eventually like to replace. I really love the rusty steel edging but I'm still not sure where one buys it. I do have some leads that I have not followed up on. Another day!


Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Kudos to Michael for a job well done. Nice to have found a dry enough day to finish this job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and just in time. Back to more rain today!

      Delete
  2. Nice job by Michael! Looks really good. Funny I'm pondering doing the same sort of edging in my veg/cutting garden. That plastic edging is not satisfactory--the blocks look so much better.

    Commenting Anonymous because of the new browser/blogspot problem with third-party cookie blocking. --Hoov (pieceofeden)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good to hear from you. I had trouble commenting on your blog last week.

      Delete
  3. Nicely done! It's great to have a partner's help in the garden. I'd probably still be removing lawn and laying flagstones if I hadn't had similar help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that Pan watching over Michael’s work? Is he carrying a planter on his head?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a planter and I haven't even put plants in yet. He came without it and we found the planter at a box store that incredibly matched it.

      Delete
  5. Hurray for Michael. Great job. I have the pavers laid flat and it really helps. I love the upright pavers, too, but I have far too many beds to tackle that part of it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts