Skip to main content

Featured

The Wet, Wet Garden

After worrying about the rain deficit (we were below normal for April), Mother Nature generously rewarded us with an abundance of rain this past week. I am not going to complain although I do wish it would skip my off-days. Today (Saturday) is an especially wet day. I ventured out briefly and took a few shots. The plants grow so fast from the rain. Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Pruning Honeysuckle

After months of inactivity, it seems like the "to do" list of chores in the garden is overwhelming. Most of this revolves around pruning. In the past, I've not been good at cutting plants back and I learned in my last garden that it is a mistake to just let everything grow unchecked. I'm much better now but I lack the ability to look at a plant and intuitively know where to make cuts or how to shape it. Michael is a master at this (I think it stems from him being a hairdresser) and he has shaped many of our trees beautifully.

I need guidance so I am continually referring to books and YouTube videos. Here is my stash of pruning books -



When approaching a plant to prune, I consult every one of these books and compare notes. The American Horticultural Society book is the most detailed although I sometimes find it confusing and hard to follow. A co-worker turned me on to Cass Turnbull and her book is humorous and down-to-earth but she doesn't cover every plant. 

I've decided to be more drastic this year and to show no mercy. I first tackled the honeysuckle (Lonicera americana) which to this point, had had very little pruning. I was about to chalk it as a dud because it never bloomed well and of course it bloomed its head off last year. I found conflicting advice on pruning it with some sources saying to cut it back early and others to cut it after it bloomed. I'm taking the early route, and we will see what happens.

Before - 



There was quite a bit of dead wood which is typical for honeysuckle. Leaving it unpruned would eventually result in a tangled mess of dead limbs. I cut back some of the canes hard and others I left longer. After -




Scary, right? 

Comments

  1. The longer I garden, the less hesitant my pruning becomes. I find plants are resilient and can tolerate quite a bit of inexperience.
    I never grew Lonicera americana but I see the after photo and think: not scary at all! I think you did great.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have at least one of those books. I always worry that I've gone too far when I tackle a shrub or a tree. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I think it looks great - getting all that dead out seems right. I hope it blooms itself crazy this year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts