Skip to main content

Featured

The Plants Bees Love

In this day and time, I would hope gardeners understand the importance of bees and other insects in the garden. However, from time to time, a person comes into the nursery and asks for plants that will NOT attract bees (sigh). They are not really gardeners though, they are just looking for a plant to fill a space. I find myself more and more intrigued by bees although I don't know that much about the different types. I do make note of plants that they like and try to add as many as I can to the garden. Over the past weeks, with watering a daily activity amidst a lingering heat-wave, I've conducted an informal survey and noted the plants that they seem to like the most. Butterfly Weed ( Asclepias tuberosa ) Butterfly Weed ( Asclepias tuberosa ) is one of my favorite perennials and the bees love it too. I don't think I've ever seen a butterfly on it but we don't seem to have many of those. Everybody wants the "Showy Milkweed" (Asclepias speciosa) but I knew

Chilean Fire Bush - a hidden jewel in our garden



It is heartbreaking that this beauty is hidden in our garden but at least the hummingbirds have found it. Hidden because it is planted behind a 7 feet tall rose. I planted it there because I was under the impression that it would become a tree. It can indeed become a tree and there is one growing about a mile from our house that is around 20 feet tall. 

In our garden, it is taking its sweet time and is only 4 feet tall after being planted seven years ago (2017). It did not begin to bloom until its fifth year and this is the first year flowering has been so profuse.

Whenever I think about this plant, I always remember what the Gosslers said in their book "The Gossler Guide to the Best Hardy Shrubs". I quote it here:

"Since this plant comes from southern Chile, we begin with a word of warning: it will not grow anywhere in the United States outside western Washington, Oregon and northern California. People wanting to grow E. coccineum in the eastern part of the country will find that it dies as soon as it gets in the box and knows where it is going."

So funny and they go on to say that you should never try and move it so I have not. I read in another book that it should not be watered during the summer months and I followed that advice and was not getting very much growth. I was then told by a local authority that I should give it some water occasionally during the summer. So I started doing that and indeed began to get a response.  

Another reason that ours is probably a slow grower is because it gets quite a bit of shade from the nearby Parrotia. However, it obviously blooms well in part shade as this year proves. Fingers crossed that it will one day tower above the fence and the 'Buff Beauty' rose.



Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. It is frustrating to have such a beautiful shrub/tree poke along. Since it has bloomed.so profusely maybe it is about to accept its situation and grow. If the weather moderates and gets into an acceptable flow perhaps this little beauty will flourish.
    I remember a lilac tree that didn't bloom for seven years after I moved here. Who knows how long it had been actually growing in this garden. I finally told it if it didn't bloom I was going to cut it down and replace it. Sure enough that summer and many years after it bloomed. Ha... mYbe you need to talk mean to your tree. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I'm also hoping that it is just now hitting its stride.

      Delete
    2. What a cool looking, wannabe, tree, Phillip! Debbie

      Delete
    3. It's a gorgeous thing, Phillip, and I think you're lucky to have it even though it's partially hidden. (The hummers probably think that's a great thing!) My local botanic garden has 2 trees but frankly they always look sickly to me - in contrast, yours shines with health.

      Delete
  2. My problem is exactly the opposite. I planted my Embothrium coccineum and it seemingly overnight shot up to be 20ft tall. I never got to enjoy the blooms at eye-level (or below) because it blooms up so high. I usually only know it's in bloom (and think to look up) when I hear the hummingbirds going after it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that odd? I agree that it is not as impressive when it is so tall.

      Delete
    2. I have had my embothrium in the ground for over 20 years and it is now quite large...approaching 40'. It spent its first several years in a pot and never put on more than 8"-10" of growth so... yours can still have a growth spurt. I do believe that they can range from tight shrubby forms to tall, open and lanky forms so even if it never takes off and attains any height, you've got a great plant there. One last thing, that was a great quote from Roger! ;-) Erik

      Delete
  3. That is so gorgeous. Those colors are wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, is that a thing of beauty! It sounds like you are actually lucky to have it be not so tall. The color is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts