Skip to main content

Featured

Threshold to Fall

Hibiscus 'Midnight Marvel' Last night our weatherman said that from here on out, we would have fall weather. Summer left with a bang with an almost 100 degree day at the end of the August. The heat fluctuations are a nuisance, and I miss the days of consistent temperatures. There doesn't seem to be a happy medium anymore, it is either at one extreme or another.  The older I get, the more sensitive I get to cold temperatures. This creates major conflict in our household with Michael being hot all the time. I swear he freezes me to death. So I celebrate the end of the noisy air conditioner kicking on right as I sit down on the deck for quiet reading and the constant drone of fans inside the house.  I'm hoping for a mild autumn where temperatures hover around the low 70s. Is that too much to ask? I love the fall season - the colors, the brisk clean feeling in the air and the way the sun starts casting odd shadows.  Canna 'Panache' Hydrangea 'Lemon Wave' Als

Aching Backs & High Summer Flowers

The weather has been glorious, and we even got rain twice last week. I ordered a chip drop on Friday and it arrived on Monday. It isn't always that fast. The amount we received was astounding -


I don't remember it being this much, but we don't have as many blank spots to cover now. Needless to say, this is way too much, and we've been pleading with neighbors to take some.

We worked all day Saturday spreading as much as we could and both ended up with severe back pain. And after all that work, there is still this much left -



Rainfall always makes a difference, and this time was no exception. I could actually see new growth overnight. 


Cleome 'Senorita Rosalita' - my favorite annual.


The fuchsias also look great this time of year.

'Lady Boothby', a climber looks especially good this year. 


Another beautiful fuchsia, even though there are no blooms, is 'Autumnale'.

Persicaria 'Golden Arrow'

Agastache 'Navajo Sunset'

Clematis 'Comtesse de Bouchaud'

Dorotheanthus Mezoo (Red Apple) beginning to sport some blooms.

Cuphea 'Sugarbelles' - I find that hummingbirds are attracted to cupheas more than any other plant. The orange 'Vermillionaire' is a must-have every year and I decided to try a white variety, thinking that it would not be as popular. Fear not! They absolutely flock to it.

Crape Myrtle 'Lunar Magic'

Chelone (Turtlehead) is another nice fall-blooming plant (well, I should say "late summer").

Hibiscus 'Midnight Marvel' is being slow this year. So far, nary a bloom but there are buds.

The only Canna I grow is 'Panache'. It has been spectacular this year, growing in a pot. This plant will always remind of Pam Harper because I first learned about it from one of her books.

Plants with easy-to-grow reputations are often difficult for me. Achillea (Yarrow) comes to mind and so does Black Eyed Susan Vine. This year, after yet another try, I am having better results.

Our front door entrance. The coleus don't get started well until late summer, but then watch out. The fuchsia above them is 'La Campanella'.  On the right is Dragonwing Begonia in the upper pot and Nemesia at the bottom right.

An early Aster is 'Kickin' Purple'. Pennisetum 'Karley Rose' is in back.

Also getting an early start is the Anenome. I hate this plant most of the year because it spreads but then I forget about that when it blooms.



Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Rain, *SIGH*. Your garden looks refreshed, while mine looks, well, toasted, with no rain in sight until late October or longer. I've held off on chip drops because I was worried I'd get more than I could handle. I'be been buying several bags of bark mulch in stages to parse out the work. Our community tree and brush clearance crews actually drop shredded cuttings in public areas. In our early days here, my husband and I used to take some home and spread it but it amounts to twice the work: forking the mulch into barrels to truck home, then spreading it. You can make your own judgement as to the amount you can use but it's never clear what all is in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulously colorful late summer garden you have there, Philip!
    I wonder about the Phormium behind Agastache 'Navajo Sunset': has it suffered at all last winter? Is this all new growth?
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chavli, it looked terrible after the winter and for the first time, I cut it completely down to the ground. It worked! I will do that from now on.

      Delete
  3. Oh, Phillip your garden looks beautiful.... I bought a Dorotheanthus Mezoo this spring after seeing it on a previous post of yours. It is covered in "little red apples". I love the front door view! Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Phillip, your late summer garden is fabulous! It is so fresh, you can feel through the photos that it rained (Twice!). I love that Crape Myrtle, are the leaves truly that dark inky color? So many gorgeous blooms, and your entrance is so inviting. The foliage on Fuchsia 'autumnale' is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that one has very dark leaves. it is very striking.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts