Skip to main content

Featured

David & Greg's Garden

This is David and Greg's garden in Woodland, Washington. I work with David at Yard n' Garden Land and it seems like it was just yesterday that they built their house and started their garden. I'm sure they would disagree.  Actually - hold on to your seat - this is only the second season for this garden! Amazing! David says that credit goes to 500 yards of "magic volcanic Columbia River bottom/former dairy farm soil". It was used to build the slope that dips down behind the house. He wisely decided to put in low-growing perennials and grasses which doesn't impede this view - This is a big leap from their formal residence which was a small rental house in Vancouver. At that time, they grew everything in pots. Plus Greg is an orchid grower and has quite a big collection. Now they have enough room (40 acres) for everyone. There are expansion plans brewing. A greenhouse is going to be built for the orchids. A courtyard in front of the house is already partly plante

Threshold to Fall

Hibiscus 'Midnight Marvel'

Last night our weatherman said that from here on out, we would have fall weather. Summer left with a bang with an almost 100 degree day at the end of the August. The heat fluctuations are a nuisance, and I miss the days of consistent temperatures. There doesn't seem to be a happy medium anymore, it is either at one extreme or another. 

The older I get, the more sensitive I get to cold temperatures. This creates major conflict in our household with Michael being hot all the time. I swear he freezes me to death. So I celebrate the end of the noisy air conditioner kicking on right as I sit down on the deck for quiet reading and the constant drone of fans inside the house. 

I'm hoping for a mild autumn where temperatures hover around the low 70s. Is that too much to ask?

I love the fall season - the colors, the brisk clean feeling in the air and the way the sun starts casting odd shadows. 




Canna 'Panache'

Hydrangea 'Lemon Wave'

Alstroemeria 'Sweet Laura'

Crape Myrtle 'Dynamite'

'Dynamite' again and the rose 'Swany' on the right. It is blooming again!

One of the best pots this year and this is its second season. I've never had much success with Huechera (Coral Bells) but this one is a winner - 'Red Lightning'. The Cape Fuchsia above it was a gift from friends - it is Phygelius 'Colorburst Yellow'. It is a good idea to always grow the cape fuchsias in pots as they can be quite aggressive in the ground.

Jasmine 'Ogon Nishiki'

Unfortunately, I lost the name of this Japanese Maple that we have growing in a pot. I'm guessing that it is 'Viridis'.


Chinese Foxglove (Rehmannia elata)


Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Late summer looks a whole lot better in your part of the country than mine, Phillip! I love that Hibiscus. Do you know the cultivar name for the orange-flowered dahlia? It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I wish I did. I tried to find it but could not.

      Delete
  2. Your photos are exquisite! I saw the Red Lightning Huechera at Yard and Garden on Saturday and really love it. Thanks for sharing these late summer scenes from your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my these photos are so wonderful, your garden feels so lush and green! That dahlia is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous photos of beautiful plants. The light is so much better now--without the harsh intensity of summer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts