Skip to main content

Featured

David & Greg's Garden

This is David and Greg's garden in Woodland, Washington. I work with David at Yard n' Garden Land and it seems like it was just yesterday that they built their house and started their garden. I'm sure they would disagree.  Actually - hold on to your seat - this is only the second season for this garden! Amazing! David says that credit goes to 500 yards of "magic volcanic Columbia River bottom/former dairy farm soil". It was used to build the slope that dips down behind the house. He wisely decided to put in low-growing perennials and grasses which doesn't impede this view - This is a big leap from their formal residence which was a small rental house in Vancouver. At that time, they grew everything in pots. Plus Greg is an orchid grower and has quite a big collection. Now they have enough room (40 acres) for everyone. There are expansion plans brewing. A greenhouse is going to be built for the orchids. A courtyard in front of the house is already partly plante

Views From a New Lens


I just got a wide-angle camera lens a few days ago and I am playing around with it and trying to decide if I like it and if it was worth the pricey investment. I don't think there are many situations in our garden where a wide-angle is useful but I always wish I had one when I'm out photographing big scenic areas.

I also don't think Blogger is the best place to do an assessment as I always feel like images lose some quality here - if anyone uses Blogger and can offer any insight, I would be interested. I've never determined the best sizes to use on this platform for optimal quality.

Enough about that. We just had a few hot days (close to 100 on Thursday) and I hope that is the end of it. It is milder today and the long-range forecast is showing cooler temperatures.


The above shot is the front pathway that I usually photograph from the opposite side. The lens is not fully extended here. 

Deodar Cedar 'Feelin' Blue' 

The photo below has the lens fully open. The lighting isn't that great because of haze from wildfires in Oregon. This was also taken late in the evening.


Zooming in, I like this capture much better -



Wiegela 'Wings of Fire'


Although a wide-angle lens, it takes very nice close shots. I'm very pleased with the sharpness of the lens so far (again, some of the sharpness is lost in the Blogger compression) -

Cuphea 'Vermillionaire' and Rose 'Double Delight'

I'm looking forward to getting out and trying the lens in bigger settings.


Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. I think these shots look great, Phillip. The color seems more vivid to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in agreement about Blogger changing the quality of photos, it's so frustrating! That said, your photos are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Blogger compresses the photos. Also interesting if you go back to a really old post the quality gets poorer still--I would guess that a photo without pageviews gets relegated over time to a more and more compressed state??

    Beautiful garden, beautiful photos. The Cedar and the Wiegela are choice. What is the purple/lavender flower in the last photo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that about the old posts. I will go take a look. That flower is Cleome 'Senorita Rosalita'.

      Delete
  4. As always, your garden looks gorgeous. I like those zoomed in photos too! Have fun with the new lens.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts