Skip to main content

Featured

Professional Pruning

I rarely resort to hiring help in the garden but I'm learning that sometimes it is wise to do so and worth every penny. Case in point - some hideous out-of-control trees that were beyond my ability to deal with. If I were smarter, I would have tackled these issues from the beginning but I didn't know better. The first is a pear tree that was planted along the back fence line. I've worked on this for the past several years, every year with the intent of reducing the height or possibly removing it altogether. As you can see in the photo, I had cut back everything but three limbs and finally realized that it would be dangerous for me to try and bring them down. The limbs grow straight up into the air and the remaining three are about 20 feet tall.  After -- there is a hole in the sky view but the tree should fill in nicely for a good screen and I can keep it trimmed down from this point forward. Farther down along the fence line, and the view from the deck, are two massive pho

Raccoon Round-Up

At first I thought they were cute. I started observing the little masked varmints about a year ago in my garden, usually at night, but increasingly during the day as well. I let the little guys go about their business and I’m sure our habit of throwing scraps out was welcoming to them. As long as they didn’t hurt my cat – they were fine with me. After all, I am a big animal lover.

About a month ago, I saw three baby raccoons playing around my waterfall. Adorable.


Then things started to get out of hand. They wouldn’t leave my birdfeeders alone and they have broken several, some beyond repair. Heck, the hummingbird feeders aren’t even safe because they love the nectar! Then we started hearing sounds in our attic. At first we thought it was probably squirrels but now we are wondering if it is the raccoons. That mystery is still not solved yet. Last week, I stepped outside to feed Isabella and heard a commotion of scurrying. I stepped back inside and observed a mother and five baby raccoons descending on the food dish. Okay, enough is enough! Our home is becoming "Grey Gardens II"!!!


My sister had loaned me a small cage trap so I tried to capture them but soon realized that the trap was too small. I called Animal Control yesterday and picked up a larger cage after leaving a $50 deposit. Last night I baited the cages and am happy to report that I caught three of them. They are crafty little buggers so this was not as easy as it sounds. I thought the mother would never go inside the cage and it was past 11 before she was captured. I took them out to a wooded area and creek about five miles from our house and released them. That is 3 down and 4 to go! Or at least 4 that I am aware of. The cages are baited tonight. I’m ready for action!

Comments

  1. Hey Phillip.
    Quite interesting about your Raccoon problem. I am sure you will be successful in rounding them all up in time. Watch out for those squirrels as well. They can do some considerable damage as they like bird feeders and attics just the same. That is speaking from experience on the squirrels as we had quite the bunch to roundup in our previous home as well. DW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just out surfing and stumbled across your blog. Beautiful garden and photography:).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a cat door that leads from my garage to the outside world. Recently I have heard some sounds in the garage that were not familiar. RACCOONS! I agree, they are real cute, but as you stated, things can get out of hand. I hope when your relocate these varmits that they are appreciative of your humane treatment of them...I am. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts