Pruning & Transplanting Clematis (and other plants)
Ah, the clematis, one of the most beautiful and frustrating of plants. I counted five books on my shelf devoted to them, and I still have to consult them every year when it is time to prune. This year I'm doing something new - moving a few that are obviously not doing well (lack of sun, more than likely). I'm worried about one of my favorites - 'Jackmanii Superba'. First, I had to dig it up when the new gate was constructed. This clematis was massive, and the bottom stalk looked like a small tree. I divided it to give a piece to my neighbor. Somewhere along the way, it was cut back all the way down to the trunk . I'm still asking myself how this happened. Only time will tell if I've killed the poor thing. It has been replanted, and so far, no signs of life. Others that I decided to move were not subjected to that abuse and were moved immediately after I dug them up. This is 'Etoile Violette'. This rampant variety was along the front fence and it alwa...






















Comments
These are some really cool photos. The gardens are amazing, all the broken Greek Columns are really eye catching.
re: tomatoes. for less sweet and more acid flavor, y'all should definitely get some yellow tomatoes. Tasteful Garden had a huge selection of them with thorough descriptions. I know they sell out of some varieties quickly though, so you may want to go on and check out their website!
I love your blog, and especially the pictures of your garden. My garden club was wondering if you ever do private tours.
Beautifully illustrated tour, courtesy of your wonderful photographs.
BlogFront.org is committed to uphold the quality standards of blogging. We strive to maintain and promote only the most credible blogs in their respective fields.
Spam blogs or "splogs" has been a problem for some time now and people are getting confused about which blog to trust.
We would like to thank you for maintaining such a reputable blog. We know that it takes time, effort and commitment to keep such a blog and as such, we have added your blog as one of the top Gardening Blogs.
You can see your blog listed here: http://blogfront.org/gardening/6
You can also claim your BlogFront Top Blogs badge at http://blogfront.org/badges/gardening
Thank you for keeping your blog credible. Let's keep the blog revolution alive!
Maria Blanchard
BlogFront.org
Blog Revolucion
It was beautiful even though many things were between bloom time. We had a beautiful sunny morning for the tour and I made it back home without any weather incidents, though things deteriorated rapidly after that. Thank you so much for helping to reveal this "best kept secret". I WILL be returning one of these days to see again this magical place.
Barbara H.