Skip to main content

Featured

Swapping Huckleberries

Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album)  Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album) has been an attractive feature along our north-facing foundation since I planted it in 2016. You will have to take my word for it since I cannot locate a photo although I know one exists somewhere in the realm of the Internet or floating on a cloud somewhere.  I did locate a photo of how it looked when it was first planted - It took a few years to fill out but it did so nicely to an attractive mound about 2 feet high by 3 feet wide.  Last year, it started to look bad.  I cut it back but it had not improved and this is how it looked a few weeks ago - I decided to rip it out and plant another huckleberry - this time Vaccinium ovatum , more commonly known as the "Evergreen Huckleberry".  This is a plant that I've wanted for ages and kept putting off getting one because I could not find a good place for it. By most accounts, this is an amazing plant, a native one and excellent for

Garden Blogger's Fling - Asheville 2012





May 17 - 21, 2012
Details here!


Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. I've seen pictures from some of the past flings on some of my blogs and it looks like it's a great time. I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan to be there. I hope to meet you and Michael (if he can stand all of us petal pushers).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thinking about this. I can't stay for 5 days, but I can do a few, and if some other of my blog friends are going it would definitely be worth the trip. Its not all that far actually...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Phillip, Saw your garden on Photo of the Day. Congratulations on being posted there! Well deserved -- your garden is stunning. Wish I could go to the Fling, but funds are tight this year. Enjoy! P.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phillip, I also enjoyed seeing your garden on GPOD today. Congrats! Such a work of true garden art, through and through. I look forward to reading more about it this season!
    (I see we have lots of mutual blogging friends already.)

    And the fling will be so fab! My family and I were just in Asheville this past June already. Beautiful location.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts