Skip to main content

Featured

A Visit to Lux Perennials

I've been wanting to visit Lux Perennials for years now and finally got a chance last week. In a word - Wow! The nursery is located at the owner's home, located west of Portland, up in the hills on Skyline Blvd. The property is breathtaking with fantastic views. A small nursery features perennials propagated from plants in the garden. There were also some plants from commercial sources, notably Proven Winners. I mainly was interested in the display garden but of course I did end up buying some plants. Of course! The nursery is located on the front side of the house and the garden is behind it. Taking the path leading back to the garden, the first thing I spotted was this stunning Monkey Puzzle Tree. Michael has wanted one of them for ages. I finally bought one last year and have it in a pot. I have no idea where such a thing would fit in our garden. Fact - the first time I ever heard of the Monkey Puzzle Tree was in one of my all-time favorite films (and one of the few films

Late winter arrangement



We are having a few friends over tonight to watch the Oscars. I picked some camellias, daffodils and hellebores and Michael did an arrangement for the kitchen.

It is winter?? You would not know from the temperatures. Close to 70 today. I felt guilty about not getting out and working but there was too much to do inside. Enjoy the Oscars if you watching!

 

 

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. I love to make arrangements to enjoy indoors almost as much as I like growing them. This is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Michael. This arrangement looks more like spring than winter. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just beautiful! Wish I had Michael's talent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous arrangements, I bet the aroma is outrageous!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty. I'm not sure what's happened to my camelia's. They are looking sad like they've been through a harse winter. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely beautiful!


    Sable

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a beautiful arrangement Phillip. Hope the party was fun. gail

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful arrangement. You'd never know it was the beginning of March here either -- got to 80 degrees here today!

    You asked about the apple trees -- I'm no expert, but here's what we did: sticky fake apples for maggotfly and another trap for other pests too. That's it. I think if you want pretty fruit you probably do have to spray -- we didn't in the past and used the apples for cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Phillip, Michaeeel, it is one lovely arrangements!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, that arrangement is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts