Skip to main content

Featured

A Closer Look at Winter Damage

But first, take a look at this gorgeous rainbow that we had on Friday! The five-day stretch of warm temperatures last week really jump-started the garden. Now that plants are putting out new growth, it is easier to see what kind of damage the winter left. Back in mid-January, we experienced five straight days of below-freezing temperatures. This caused much damage in Portland and areas where frigid winds were a factor. Here, we were fortunate to not get the wind and the cold temperatures were dampened by a blanket of snow. That said, it was a tough time for the garden and there are noticeable casualties but no outright deaths that I have seen. The bottlebrush ( Callistemon 'Woodlander's Red') did not like the cold at all. It was planted six years ago, in the north-facing garden no less, and I've not experienced die-back on it until now. A local expert said to cut it all the way back so that is what I did. If it doesn't make it, I won't be too distraught. It is

Gardening if for the birds...er, chickens

To help promote their new book, Free-Range Chicken Gardens by Jessi Bloom, Timber Press is giving away a kit to help you start your own chicken garden. I will be posting a review of this book soon.

The kit includes:

All you need to enter is an email address. The contest ends February 17!

Click here to enter




Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Oh!!! I hope I win!! hahaha Thanks Philip! I need chickens here on the mountain for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted chickens. I can't have them here but I still like to read about them. There is a magazine about chickens. I buy it every once in awhile. Sigh~~ This is as close to owning chickens as I will ever get I would imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was on the edge of getting 2 chickens this yeat and found out we can't have them. I'm on 2/3 acre so plenty of room and only wanted a couple. I might just get them anyway! Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the heads-up about the Chickens book!
    Margaret
    Two in the Nest

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Phillip. I 'LIKED' it and it went to our facebook fanpage to help spread the word.

    Dave from HomeandGarden911.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. GRIT magazine has a lot on chickens. In trying to get more natural foods w/o the chemicals, I've been locking for the movable chicken coop and pen out of Mother Earth News I bought before my move back to the farm and haven't been able to find. Wonder how long chickens will last around my hooligans? Levi landed back in the shelter for chasing some ones prized chickens. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. The chicken garden book looked interesting so I ordered one from Amazon. I tried to convince my wife that we needed some garden chickens but got vetoed. The book is a fun read anyway.

    Here in Tulsa we have had so many warm days that the trees are beginning to bud out and my jonquils are up and ready to bloom. I keep trying to tell them that it's a trick but they aren't listening. Last year at this time we had 20 inches of snow and bitter cold. Who knows what the summer will bring. I enjoy your blog. Happy gardening.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts