Skip to main content

Featured

A Closer Look at Winter Damage

But first, take a look at this gorgeous rainbow that we had on Friday! The five-day stretch of warm temperatures last week really jump-started the garden. Now that plants are putting out new growth, it is easier to see what kind of damage the winter left. Back in mid-January, we experienced five straight days of below-freezing temperatures. This caused much damage in Portland and areas where frigid winds were a factor. Here, we were fortunate to not get the wind and the cold temperatures were dampened by a blanket of snow. That said, it was a tough time for the garden and there are noticeable casualties but no outright deaths that I have seen. The bottlebrush ( Callistemon 'Woodlander's Red') did not like the cold at all. It was planted six years ago, in the north-facing garden no less, and I've not experienced die-back on it until now. A local expert said to cut it all the way back so that is what I did. If it doesn't make it, I won't be too distraught. It is

Roses

'Westerland'
As a follow-up to my Bloom Day post, I am doing one especially on the roses that are currently blooming. I have planted about two dozen roses if my mental count is correct. Almost all of them are blooming or have bloomed. Some are still very tiny but most have grown quite a bit. The largest is the climber 'Westerland' and it is stunning. I grew this one in Alabama but it was in way too much shade and never really took off. The one in our new garden is growing on next to an archway. It needs some assistance with climbing the structure and that is on my list of things to do.

'Westerland' close-up

The very first rose I planted - 'Lady of Shallot', a David Austin variety, is also quite large, about 4' high and wide, growing along the fence row near the street. I hate that I did not get a photo of it blooming in its full glory earlier in the spring. I did take on on my Instagram account but even it was not a full-length shot.


'The Lady of Shallot'
 You will notice a peachy/orange theme going on here. I am suddenly crazy about orange in the garden, especially roses. The following is 'Peachy Creeper,' a rose that stunned on our visit to Heirloom Roses last year.

'Peachy Creeper'

Another purchase from Heirloom was 'The Impressionist', a stunning rose, but the bush itself has been a bit wimpy and the canes tend to nod. However, I do believe that the location where I planted it (alongside the driveway) is not as fertile as other locations in the garden. I will probably be moving it this winter.
 
A rose that has really impressed me is 'Kardinal Kolorscape', a Kordes rose. New growth has really shot up since spring (4' ft. tall so far), and it is almost always loaded with blooms and I had yet to see a speck of blackspot. Mental note - look for more of the Kordes roses. This came from my "go-to" source for roses - Chamblee's in Tyler, Texas. Even though shipping prices are God-awful expensive, their rose prices are unbeatable and their quality is superb.

 
I said I would not buy roses on a whim - of course I did not hold true to that. This rose - 'Sunbelt Plum Perfect' was an impulse buy at City Farm, a nifty little nursery in St. Johns. The label on the plant, however, was from Xera, another fabulous nursery in Portland. It has been a nice little rose and a blooming machine.

 
'Marie Pavie', a rose that I loved in Alabama, has quickly formed a 3' x 3' mound right off the deck in the Pan Garden. A truly hassle-free rose for me.


I tend to avoid Hybrid Tea and Grandiflora roses but one that Michael and I always loved was 'Gold Medal.' The blooms on this bush have been incredible. It isn't planted in the best location - along the back wall of the house and underneath an eave - but as long as I keep it watered, it seems to be happy.
And to close, probably my favorite hybrid tea - 'Double Delight'. It was also planted along the back wall of the house and looked miserable last year. I transplanted it earlier this year and it has improved tremendously.

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. You have some gorgeous roses, but I think my favorite is Westerland. I was never a big fan of orange flowers until I moved to the PNW. I swear it has something to do with the long periods of gloomy weather (which I actually like, BTW). Orange is reminiscent of sunshine. Thanks for sharing your roses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too Alison. And I like the gloom too!

      Delete
  2. My favorites of your collection is the Peachy Creeper, Gold Medal, and the plum. Yummmy. Your green thumb is showing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful roses! I love them so much. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! One of my all time favorite Corals is "Lafter" but her thorns are no laughing matter...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Walking through the gardens at Joy Creek is an olfactory delight these days. Between that and this post, I'm beginning to rethink my attitude about roses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for showing your beautiful roses, it's like having color therapy in our cold, wet and dark winter at the moment

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed your roses very much. Your 'Westerland' is impressive. I agree, Chamblee's is an excellent rose vendor. Lucky you to get such a good impulse buy with the 'Sunbelt Plum Perfect'. It looks like a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous roses! You and the Rose City (well pretty close) are a perfect match!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! Are you experiencing less fungal problems there than in Alabama?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts