Skip to main content

Featured

The Garden Awakens

Anise 'Woodland Red' ( Illicium floridanum ) A few weeks ago, I thought spring would never arrive, but now the change is astonishing. The nights are still cold (40s and sometimes even 30s) so planting tender annuals and vegetables is unwise although I have already succumbed, but covering and uncovering things gets old quickly. Someone made a wise comment last week and I must agree with them - "Don't plant anything tender until after May 1". Several plants are blooming like never before. One is the Anise shrub (above and below). I don't know if the recent tree pruning, which is allowing more sun into the woodland path, is affecting it or perhaps it is just age, but I've never seen so many blooms. Michael refers to this as "the stinky fish shrub" and I have to admit to smell of the flowers is quite unpleasant. It is so beautiful that I can overlook that. The old pink dogwood tree, which was already here, shades our woodland path and it too is prett

A quick look around Portland Nursery


This morning we went to Portland to go to a sewing business and we got there an hour before they opened (here is a good tip - NEVER trust business hours posted online). Anyway, the initial plan was to drop Michael off and I would go three blocks down the road and walk around Portland Nursery. So, we both ended up going to the nursery to kill the hour.  

Although sunny, it has turned cold again and I mean chillingly cold. Michael had on a light jacket and he went back to wait in the car. 

The witch hazels were blooming all over and I regret not planing one. They get so large and I'm not sure where I would place one now. They are certainly stunning when in bloom.






 Another stunning winter plant is the 'Pacific Fire' vine maple. I do have one of these. 




 The following maple is probably 'Sango Kaku' but I could not see the label.





 The rooftop garden over the little shed looks good -




 So many lovely conifers -















 They also have many beautiful pots and statuary. I love this tuteur but oh my lord, it was $300!









It was a bit of relief to step inside the warm gift shop to escape the bitter cold. They have quite the houseplant collection. When I got back to the car, Michael said that they could not have any houseplants left because he had watched so many people leaving with them. 










Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Hi Philip, one thing I love about the Pacific NW is all the wonderful conifers. I could spend all day in a nursery like that, drooling over the selection. I would have to wear some extra layers, however!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strolling through those aisles chocked full of plants would be a major temptation to me, especially through the conifers. I love them when they are small like in that one picture. Just seeing the pictures makes my heart go pitty patter especially when it is 60F today. Crazy February weather here but I love it. We will pay when it dips back down to the 30's tomorrow night. It will be back to reality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe everyone was buying houseplants because that is where it was warm. Nice place--thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts