Skip to main content

Featured

Swapping Huckleberries

Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album)  Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album) has been an attractive feature along our north-facing foundation since I planted it in 2016. You will have to take my word for it since I cannot locate a photo although I know one exists somewhere in the realm of the Internet or floating on a cloud somewhere.  I did locate a photo of how it looked when it was first planted - It took a few years to fill out but it did so nicely to an attractive mound about 2 feet high by 3 feet wide.  Last year, it started to look bad.  I cut it back but it had not improved and this is how it looked a few weeks ago - I decided to rip it out and plant another huckleberry - this time Vaccinium ovatum , more commonly known as the "Evergreen Huckleberry".  This is a plant that I've wanted for ages and kept putting off getting one because I could not find a good place for it. By most accounts, this is an amazing plant, a native one and excellent for

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day for February 2020



I am a day late for Gardener's Bloom Day (hosted by May Dreams Gardens) but I was busy yesterday working for the coroporate beast.  But frankly, there isn't too much to share. The crocus, just planted last fall, is on the rise and a sure sign of spring. This week promises to bring temperatures in the 50s and sunny days. I know a lot of gardeners around here are going to be very happy.

People think it rains here a lot but here is the way it is and this is fairly typical - this morning was sunny and bright and as we were out having breakfast and doing errands, I kept thinking "I really should be in the garden". After we arrive home, it suddenly gets very dark with ominous clouds on the horizon. Suddenly, it starts pouring rain, an event that lasts all of 4 minutes. Then, the sun appears again, and the garden is a sodden mess. That has happened twice already today but overall, it is mostly sunny.

The hellebores continue to be astonishing. I vow to plant more -

 

The manzanita (Arctostaphylos) is also doing well. The blooms are so tiny that you don't really notice them unless you are right up on them. The bush is also still quite small -



Another shrub with very small flowers is the Sweet Box (Sarcococca). It is supposedly very fragrant although I cannot detect the scent -



The Lily-of-the-Valley or Andromeda shrubs (Pieris) are the showiest shrubs in the garden at the moment. Here are two -

Pieris 'Passion Frost'


 
Pieris 'Valley Rose'


 One of the camellias is budding out. This is 'Mathotiana" -





 
Vinca 'Illumination'



 Not 100% sure, but I think this is Anenome nemerosa 'Royal Blue' which came from Far Reaches Farm -



 The Strawberry Tree (Arbutus) is growing very fast and is already about 8 feet tall -



I just remembered that there are also some daffodils blooming out next to the street. I was about to go out and take some shots but guess what? It is coming another shower.

 
Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Love the color on your Pieris, both of them, but the 'Passion Frost' is sure lovely! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's seem the new live have begun... Look so fresh and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many pretty flowers. I do believe spring is here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your every bloom is so distinct and beautiful.Loved the blooms of Pieris .That variety of Vinca 'Illumination' is completely new for me,rather I have never heard about it in our region.Are these grown as perennial in your region. Although one variety of Vinca that is Vinca Rosea has been well adapted in our hot climate.Happy Blooms day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Except for the Manzanita and Strawberry tree, which I love but would grow too large for my garden, we share most of the plants in this post. I had recently counted nine different hellebores in my garden, so I should warn you about getting more: this plant is totally addictive :-D
    I'm certain once your Sarcococca gets bigger, you will notice the vanilla-like scent of this shrub's flowers: it is very noticeable and recognizable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have tried a couple of different peiris in my garden and they just don't like it here. BAH....I think they are so pretty. Happy GBBD.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your weather observations made me laugh out loud - it is so damn frustrating sometimes. I usually end up working on those fantastic days, only to get completely drenched on days off when I try to get stuff done outside. I ended up shooting in the pouring rain. Had to put the camera upside down and out to dry when I got back inside. Luckily, it seems to have dried out okay. I agree with chavliness - soon enough you will catch the scent of the Sarcococca. It's lovely and carries far - maybe just not on a rainy day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts