Skip to main content

Featured

Swapping Huckleberries

Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album)  Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album) has been an attractive feature along our north-facing foundation since I planted it in 2016. You will have to take my word for it since I cannot locate a photo although I know one exists somewhere in the realm of the Internet or floating on a cloud somewhere.  I did locate a photo of how it looked when it was first planted - It took a few years to fill out but it did so nicely to an attractive mound about 2 feet high by 3 feet wide.  Last year, it started to look bad.  I cut it back but it had not improved and this is how it looked a few weeks ago - I decided to rip it out and plant another huckleberry - this time Vaccinium ovatum , more commonly known as the "Evergreen Huckleberry".  This is a plant that I've wanted for ages and kept putting off getting one because I could not find a good place for it. By most accounts, this is an amazing plant, a native one and excellent for

Emerging

Camellia 'Donation'
 
 Such an exciting time of year!


Peony




Euphorbia myrsinites








Ribes (Flowering Currant)








Rhododendron 'Blue Baron'



Rhododendron 'Taurus'



Tulip


Leycesteria formosa (Himalayan honeysuckle)



Comfrey







Euonymous albomarginata




Lupine




Peony 'Paula Fay'




Hydrangea 'Snowflake'



Stewartia

 And, my first attempt at bringing mason bees into the garden. It wasn't near as complicated as I thought. I put the cocoons out three days ago and was thrilled to see bees today. My shelter is a bit primitive and the whole tower is crooked but I am happy with it at the moment.




Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Wasn't it a fantastic weekend? I gardened both days and got so much done. Your photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have so much more going on in your garden already Phillip but my peonies are at about the same stage. They are creeping out into the world. The anticipation is invigorating. I want to get out there and start pulling weeds. ... What did I just type??? ha... Love your bee/bug hive. The next thing we know you will have a bee hive and be selling honey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You capture a perfect moment perfectly!

    Hooray for the mason bee condo. They will be thanking you for years to come.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts