Skip to main content

Featured

A Closer Look at Winter Damage

But first, take a look at this gorgeous rainbow that we had on Friday! The five-day stretch of warm temperatures last week really jump-started the garden. Now that plants are putting out new growth, it is easier to see what kind of damage the winter left. Back in mid-January, we experienced five straight days of below-freezing temperatures. This caused much damage in Portland and areas where frigid winds were a factor. Here, we were fortunate to not get the wind and the cold temperatures were dampened by a blanket of snow. That said, it was a tough time for the garden and there are noticeable casualties but no outright deaths that I have seen. The bottlebrush ( Callistemon 'Woodlander's Red') did not like the cold at all. It was planted six years ago, in the north-facing garden no less, and I've not experienced die-back on it until now. A local expert said to cut it all the way back so that is what I did. If it doesn't make it, I won't be too distraught. It is

Garden Blogger's Bloom Day - March 2020



Anenome nemerosa 'Royal Blue'

Spring is us upon us but Mother Nature is still throwing curve balls as evidenced by my post yesterday. Most plants are ahead of schedule despite this weekend cold snap. Next week's forecast shows temperatures in the 60s and lots of sun. I am psyched.

Earlier in the week, I returned from Alabama, where it was cold and very, very wet.  Mud was everywhere and walking across the lawn there was like stepping on a saturated sponge. Our winter here in Vancouver, Washington has been mild and drier than normal. Upon my return, I had only one day before returning to work at Yard n' Garden Land (I would like to request that you consider adding us to your Facebook and Instagram likes). 

Most of my bloom day photos were taken on my day off last week. Anenome nemerosa 'Royal Blue' (above) is right outside the front door along the sidewalk and it continues to stun me with its vivid blue color. A cheerful plant if there ever was one!

Earlier in the week, they were forecasting terrible freezes down in the mid 20s for this weekend. Fortunately, that has changed but I was getting ready to throw covers over some plants, including this beauty - Clematis armandii 'Snow Drift' -

Clematis armandii 'Snow Drift'

The late winter camellias are also doing nicely. I did not get a shot of "Mathotiana' which has the most blooms but I did get one of 'Nuccio's Bella Rossa' which is my currently my favorite red.

Camellia 'Nuccio's Bella Rossa'

Spirea 'Ogon' is also quite spectacular at the moment -


Spirea 'Ogon'

I believe all of the Pieris are blooming. I've shared many photos of 'Valley Rose', 'Mountain Fire' and 'Passion Frost' but I don't recall photographing this one. These are the first blooms on 'Little Heath' -

Pieris 'Little Heath'

The spurge (Euphorbia) is almost ready to open -

Euphorbia characieas wulfenii


This is a short Bloom Day post but hopefully there will be much more to share next week.
Gardener's Bloom Day is hosted by May Dreams Gardens. You can go there to find links to other blogger's websites all over the world. 

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. I may need to aquire that Anemone nemerosa ! Anemones are one of those bulbs I often forget about but so so easy-I need to correct this !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blooms Phillip. My little Anemone nemerosa have been blooming but they are all shut up due to the COLD weather. Brrrrrr the wind is blowing too.
    I think Pieris is one of the most beautiful spring bloomers. I love the draping blooms. I can't get one to grow here. I have tried several different ones, no grow. Your southern roots are showing with that Camillia. I like them too. They look like roses when blooming to me. That Spirea is a beauty too. Happy GBBD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm with Kathy - that Anemone is a stunner! I have a couple of white ones, but that blue is on par with the Hepaticas I have. So very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Anemone makes me want to ditch my anemone bland for that blue.
    -Ray

    ReplyDelete
  5. Athat Anemones is gorgeous. I am very, very envious of that Clematis too. I hope you do indeed get some sun and warmer temperatures. Please feel free to redirect any rain this way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful array! I saw that blue anemone at a greenhouse a couple of weeks ago and was just stunned. It is so lovely. I am planning to add some to my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have some beautiful flowers despite it still being winter. As everyone else said, stunning blue Anemone. 'Nuccio's Bella Rossa' has the most perfect symmetrical flowers. Sadly, mine did not survive. Always tempted to try another.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts