Skip to main content

Featured

The Garden Awakens

Anise 'Woodland Red' ( Illicium floridanum ) A few weeks ago, I thought spring would never arrive, but now the change is astonishing. The nights are still cold (40s and sometimes even 30s) so planting tender annuals and vegetables is unwise although I have already succumbed, but covering and uncovering things gets old quickly. Someone made a wise comment last week and I must agree with them - "Don't plant anything tender until after May 1". Several plants are blooming like never before. One is the Anise shrub (above and below). I don't know if the recent tree pruning, which is allowing more sun into the woodland path, is affecting it or perhaps it is just age, but I've never seen so many blooms. Michael refers to this as "the stinky fish shrub" and I have to admit to smell of the flowers is quite unpleasant. It is so beautiful that I can overlook that. The old pink dogwood tree, which was already here, shades our woodland path and it too is prett

Transplanting Roses




There are few garden chores that I dislike but I would put transplanting near the top of my list. There is always the sense of "am I harming this plant" and I especially hate the awful sound of the roots coming loose in the soil when you dig it out of the ground. Unfortunately, unless you are a really good planner, plants are often put in less than ideal spots. I have already transplanted about a dozen plants this year and many of them are roses.

In this case, the rose in the above photo, is in a good spot but it seems to want to be a climber and the blooms have a tendency to nod down. The rose is 'Golden Celebration' and I've decided to relocate it next to a gate and arbor so that it can become the climbing rose it wants to be.

In my early years of gardening, I killed more than one rose when transplanting it. Since then, I've learned a few tips and thought I'd share. First of all, the best time to transplant is around the time you would prune roses. This is not a deal breaker and you can transplant a rose at other times of the year but this is the least stressful time and you will be getting it ready for the upcoming growth spurt. Another good reason for doing it now is that the ground is usually moist from winter rains.

The first thing I do is get the new planting hole prepared so that once you dig the rose, you can get it back in the ground quickly. Dig a hole slightly wider than the rootball of the rose. Ammend the soil with aged manure or compost. You can also add bone meal. DO NOT add fertilizer.




Prune the rose heavily even if it is a climber or large shrub rose. Transplanting will create a lot of stress and shock to the plant and the more growth that it on the plant, the more the plant will have to work to support all those canes and leaves. Therefore, cut it back about 1 - 2 feet. The rule of thumb is to make your cuts right above an outward facing bud. It always seems to me that most of the buds are facing the wrong direction. My advice is not to stress too much over this because you can always cut wayward canes later when the new growth begins.






Some experts recommend that you water the rose a week or a few days in advance with a vitamin B1 liquid. I have never done this but I think it is a good idea so if you are unlike me and can plan ahead, do it! If you don't use the B1, do water the plant well beforehand.

Now the fun part, the digging. Push the shovel in all around the rose and gently rock it back and forth. After going all the way around the rose, go in a bit closer and continue to cut around the rose. You can usually tell when the rose has loosened enough (again, that horrible sound) and it can be lifted completely out of the ground. The goal is to keep the root ball intact, a task that is not always an easy one. Even thought my soil was moist, the root ball did not stay intact and some of the soil fell away from the roots. It this happens, don't panic.



After you've carefully moved the rose to its new home, place it in the hole at about the same level it was before. Press the soil down firmly and create a dam around the plant. Water it well - I would give it a 5 gallon bucket full, sometimes more. Water slowly so that it does not run off and the water stays inside the dam. Mulch around the base of the rose. Bark chips, pine straw or whatever you have on hand is fine. I have learned that gravel works really well here in the Pacific Northwest because it keeps the soil moist during our dry summers. Continue to water every few days or even daily if the weather is hot and dry. After new growth begins, the rose can be fertilized (my favorite is a liquid fish or kelp fertilizer). In less than two months, you should have new blooms.




Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Excellent advise. I have rarely transplanted roses, mainly because I usually kill them. I do have three roses now. I have one that is a rambler that is so old I don't know for sure what it is. I have the climber White Dawn. It is a tough plant. I moved it in the heat of the summer but it lived. It was doing great then winter before last the rabbits ate it to the ground. The poor thing has struggled since. Then I have another climber named Golden Showers. It has been doing pretty good. I don't wish to move another though. I hope your rose thrives in it's new location.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh, Phillip, my head was nodding "Yes!" right from the start as it all resonated with me. And when you mentioned the best buds facing inward instead of outward, I thought that had clinched the deal. But I don't think I've ever had a root ball stay intact, so I'll give you 10 out of 10 on this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make it look so easy! I know it isn't. You do a good job.

    Digging out a rose is my very least favorite gardening activity. There always seems to be one root that goes straight down and is impossible to get at. Here, too, the light soil and lack of any winter chill means crown/root gall is a terrible problem--many of mine have succumbed. A rose intended to be moved ends up having to be discarded because of gall.

    My 'Golden Celebration' is huge. I love it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts