Skip to main content

Featured

The Garden Awakens

Anise 'Woodland Red' ( Illicium floridanum ) A few weeks ago, I thought spring would never arrive, but now the change is astonishing. The nights are still cold (40s and sometimes even 30s) so planting tender annuals and vegetables is unwise although I have already succumbed, but covering and uncovering things gets old quickly. Someone made a wise comment last week and I must agree with them - "Don't plant anything tender until after May 1". Several plants are blooming like never before. One is the Anise shrub (above and below). I don't know if the recent tree pruning, which is allowing more sun into the woodland path, is affecting it or perhaps it is just age, but I've never seen so many blooms. Michael refers to this as "the stinky fish shrub" and I have to admit to smell of the flowers is quite unpleasant. It is so beautiful that I can overlook that. The old pink dogwood tree, which was already here, shades our woodland path and it too is prett

The First Winter Snow of 2021

 

The forecasters got it right this time. We got around 2" overnight and it has been steadily snowing this morning. The bulk is supposed to be today and tonight.

Last night, I took this shot looking out the bathroom window. It had been snowing all afternoon but very little was sticking.


 And that same view this morning -


I was out there for about a half hour, refreshing the hummingbird feeders and knocking snow off the branches. The Hinoki cypress was especially concerning -


That is a chore that I will have to repeat later in the day if the snow continues.








Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Snow is always very pretty in pictures but I think the reality of dealing with in covering my garden would turn me into a nervous wreck. I hope your garden comes through the experience unscathed. Phillip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We’ve gotten several snow storms this season here on Long Island, more than we have gotten in years. The branches of my newly planted Hoogendorn Holly (planted last summer) are weighted under a blanket of heavy snow and I am worried about them breaking, but don’t want to start moving them in fear that the ice and snow could snap the branches right off. I am keeping fingers crossed and hoping that natural melting will allow the branches to eventually spring back. Good luck with you garden and spring will be here soon (well almost soon!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The snow adds an enchanting feeling to your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could have been perfectly happy without this late winter snow system blowing through. I think for most, the meltdown will start taking place on Monday; not a moment too soon. The snow covered bird house is particularly charming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could have been perfectly happy without this late winter snow system blowing through. I think for most, the meltdown will start taking place on Monday; not a moment too soon. The snow covered bird house is particularly charming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The snow was beautiful in your gardens. I wish we would have just had snow instead of the ice. Lovely pics as always.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts