Skip to main content

Featured

Swapping Huckleberries

Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album)  Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album) has been an attractive feature along our north-facing foundation since I planted it in 2016. You will have to take my word for it since I cannot locate a photo although I know one exists somewhere in the realm of the Internet or floating on a cloud somewhere.  I did locate a photo of how it looked when it was first planted - It took a few years to fill out but it did so nicely to an attractive mound about 2 feet high by 3 feet wide.  Last year, it started to look bad.  I cut it back but it had not improved and this is how it looked a few weeks ago - I decided to rip it out and plant another huckleberry - this time Vaccinium ovatum , more commonly known as the "Evergreen Huckleberry".  This is a plant that I've wanted for ages and kept putting off getting one because I could not find a good place for it. By most accounts, this is an amazing plant, a native one and excellent for

Valentine's Day Roses

We are snowed in with almost a foot a snow (my unofficial measurement was 9 inches). I thought it would be over with today but no, there is a prediction of ice this afternoon. So far, we've been lucky and have not lost our power, unlike many people in Portland.

Since it is Valentine's Day and we did not plan in advance, we made our own cards (or I should Michael made them - just watching the videos on doing this gives me a headache but he is really good at it) -


 I am also having a splurge day and treating myself to sugar - brownies are in the oven!

To take our minds off the weather, here are some roses from last year.

Cornelia

Darcey Bussell

Radway Sunrise

Phyllis Bide

Dublin Bay


 

Lady of Shalott

 

Robin Hood

 

Alchymist

 

Westerland

 

Climbing Pinkie

Marchesa Boccella

The Impressionist

Eden

Mary Rose

Olivia Rose

Happy Valentine's Day!

 

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. The cards are wonderful - and I'm sure the brownies will be too! You're making the best of the cold and snow this Valentine's Day. I loved the photos - I wish I had your touch with roses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated Valentine's Day! I love those sweet cards, and truly, the most intimate V-Days are the best for me. And your roses are spectacular. I needed a dose of lushness in this crazy winter -15F weather we are having.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love seeing all of these warm glowing photos. It does lift the spirits with the snow coming down a blizzard here. Cute heart cards. That Michael is so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good thing to do in snow events: wake up and smell the (virtual) roses.
    I love those valentine cards... I'll be looking for it online (despite the fact that my origami past successes is limited at best).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well those photos put a smile on my face. Gorgeous! As are the origami cards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Valentines and even more gorgeous roses! I especially love 'Eden'. My husband had the same idea about brownies as you did. When I woke up on Valentines Day, he brought me brownies in bed! That was a first. We ended up with about 1/4 inch snow and very frigid temps. Other parts of Alabama got much more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts