Skip to main content

Featured

Swapping Huckleberries

Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album)  Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album) has been an attractive feature along our north-facing foundation since I planted it in 2016. You will have to take my word for it since I cannot locate a photo although I know one exists somewhere in the realm of the Internet or floating on a cloud somewhere.  I did locate a photo of how it looked when it was first planted - It took a few years to fill out but it did so nicely to an attractive mound about 2 feet high by 3 feet wide.  Last year, it started to look bad.  I cut it back but it had not improved and this is how it looked a few weeks ago - I decided to rip it out and plant another huckleberry - this time Vaccinium ovatum , more commonly known as the "Evergreen Huckleberry".  This is a plant that I've wanted for ages and kept putting off getting one because I could not find a good place for it. By most accounts, this is an amazing plant, a native one and excellent for

Turtle Brownies

 


I mentioned making brownies in my last post and thought I would post the recipe for safe keeping. This one is a winner. Although, I could just be so sugar deprived that any trace of it would send me into ecstasy. Michael proclaimed them a hit and he is the type that would rather have chips than cake. 

I've been on a no-sugar diet since early January and I've only splurged a time or two. This recipe comes from The Gourmet Cookbook.

For The Brownie Layer

3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 stick (8 tbsp.) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large eggs

For the Caramel-Pecan Layer

3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup light corn syrup
3 tablespoons water
Pinch of salt
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups pecans

Brownie Layer:

Preheat the oven to 350 (use the middle rack). Butter and flour (or spray) a 9" square pan.

Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.

Melt the chocolates in a heavy sauce pan (or I used a double boiler). Set aside to cool.

Stir the brown sugar and the vanilla extract into the chocolate mixture.

Add the eggs one at a time, blending well.

Add the flour mixture and mix just until combined.

Spread in the pan and bake until a wooden pick comes out clean - about 20-30 minutes. Cool completely in the pan on a rack.

Caramel-Pecan Layer:

Combine the sugar, corn syrup, water and salt in a 3-qt. saucepan. Bring to a boil over moderate heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Boil, without stirring, until the mixture turns a golden brown
color (about 7-10 minutes). Stir in the pecans. Pour the mixture over the brownie layer in the pan and allow it to cool completely.

You can decorate them with melted chocolate but that is optional.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts