Skip to main content

Featured

Swapping Huckleberries

Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album)  Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album) has been an attractive feature along our north-facing foundation since I planted it in 2016. You will have to take my word for it since I cannot locate a photo although I know one exists somewhere in the realm of the Internet or floating on a cloud somewhere.  I did locate a photo of how it looked when it was first planted - It took a few years to fill out but it did so nicely to an attractive mound about 2 feet high by 3 feet wide.  Last year, it started to look bad.  I cut it back but it had not improved and this is how it looked a few weeks ago - I decided to rip it out and plant another huckleberry - this time Vaccinium ovatum , more commonly known as the "Evergreen Huckleberry".  This is a plant that I've wanted for ages and kept putting off getting one because I could not find a good place for it. By most accounts, this is an amazing plant, a native one and excellent for

More Garden Clean-up and Transplanting a Pieris

Gorgeous weather we've been having lately and new growth and buds popping up all over the garden. I'm still cleaning out perennials and ornamental grasses as well as moving plants. My time will be more limited as I've been called back to the nursery. I'm working a few odd days this week and go back on my regular 4-day a week schedule next week. I also have rose pruning to finish in a garden on Sauvie Island.

In my own garden, I decided to move Pieris "Mountain Fire" before it gets too late. I've observed this one elsewhere and it can get quite large. It was crammed in this space between a euphorbia and conifer 

 


Miracle of miracles, I had a spot that did not require moving another plant. Prime plant real estate behind the parrotia in the back garden. The pieris will get some shade here but actually more sun that the prior location which was on the north side of the house.


 

Let's hope it survives the upheaval. While digging it up, I noticed the root system was quite extensive and there was the sickening crunch of roots being cut.


 

Other pieris in the garden that remain in their spots -


'Valley Valentine'


 

'Valley Rose'

  Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. I've never really gotten into Pieris, but yours look fantastic.

    I think the plant transplantation was the right move. It looked cramped in its former spot. Hope it thrives in its new location!

    Even after a decade, plant placement -- not too close, not too far -- is still a real challenge for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Transplanting the Pieris was a good move, literally. The sound of root ripping is always scary, but not always consequential, so fingers crossed its a successful one. As much as I appreciate the blooms, I find the most exciting time for a Pieris is when the new leafs starts growing. It's usually an eye popping display.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always great when you find a perfect spot like that. I really like Pieris but, dry as it is here, I just haven't been able to justify planting it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these shrubs but I haven't been able to get a Pieris to survive in my garden. They keep getting smaller and smaller instead of getting larger and larger. ????

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts