Skip to main content

Featured

Professional Pruning

I rarely resort to hiring help in the garden but I'm learning that sometimes it is wise to do so and worth every penny. Case in point - some hideous out-of-control trees that were beyond my ability to deal with. If I were smarter, I would have tackled these issues from the beginning but I didn't know better. The first is a pear tree that was planted along the back fence line. I've worked on this for the past several years, every year with the intent of reducing the height or possibly removing it altogether. As you can see in the photo, I had cut back everything but three limbs and finally realized that it would be dangerous for me to try and bring them down. The limbs grow straight up into the air and the remaining three are about 20 feet tall.  After -- there is a hole in the sky view but the tree should fill in nicely for a good screen and I can keep it trimmed down from this point forward. Farther down along the fence line, and the view from the deck, are two massive pho

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day for April

Rhododendron 'Blue Baron'
 

Time seems to be flying and things look a lot difference from last month. We are back to Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, a blogger participation event on the 15th of each month hosted by May Dreams Gardens.

And what a way to begin with the vivid violet-blue blooms of Rhododendron 'Blue Baron'. The plant itself is a bit scraggly but the blooms are a show-stopper. This is a small shrub, only about 1 foot tall.

Another beautiful rhododendron that I shared in my last post but deserves another look is 'Taurus'.


 Another beautiful red one - 'Hills Bright Red' -


Barberry 'Orange Rocket' and Spirea 'Ogon'

Clematis armandii

Camellia 'Donation'

Camellia 'Nuccio's Bella Rosa'

 

Rhododendron 'PJM'


Dicentra spectabilis 'Gold Heart'
 

 

Daphne tangutica

Daffodils

 

Flowering Quince (Chaenomeles 'Double Take Orange Storm') and Veronica 'Georgia Blue'

 

A few tulips -




Serviceberry (Amelanchier 'Autumn Brilliance')

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy


Comments

  1. Gorgeous! I can't say there's any overlap between our floral displays unless you count the last of my Narcissus, rapidly beating a retreat in the face of our dry and very warm spring. Seeing your blue rhododendron makes me regret the fact that I haven't managed to grow anything in this genus in my current garden, not even the paltry few Azaleas traditionally sold locally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember how I longed for Camellia 'Donation' when I moved into this house 30-odd years ago. Could not find it anywhere so I settled for 'Pink Perfection'-long gone now. The shade in my garden is unfortunately totally dictated by the tree canopys of the neighbors to the south and west.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty!
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Vancouver garden is a quite a bit ahead of my north Seattle one. Rhododendron 'Blue Baron' is so striking! I'm still searching for Veronica 'Georgia Blue'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous selection of flowers, Phillip. I like the Berberis combined with the Spiraea, that's a great combination. Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The red of those first two rhodis are almost artificial looking. A beautiful color. Happy GBBD.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Intense red and blue on the rhodies - so unusual and patriotic. The golden bleeding heart looks almost gawdy to me.
    -Ray

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not only the flowers, but the photos. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spring is lovely in your garden. Beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts