Skip to main content

Featured

Professional Pruning

I rarely resort to hiring help in the garden but I'm learning that sometimes it is wise to do so and worth every penny. Case in point - some hideous out-of-control trees that were beyond my ability to deal with. If I were smarter, I would have tackled these issues from the beginning but I didn't know better. The first is a pear tree that was planted along the back fence line. I've worked on this for the past several years, every year with the intent of reducing the height or possibly removing it altogether. As you can see in the photo, I had cut back everything but three limbs and finally realized that it would be dangerous for me to try and bring them down. The limbs grow straight up into the air and the remaining three are about 20 feet tall.  After -- there is a hole in the sky view but the tree should fill in nicely for a good screen and I can keep it trimmed down from this point forward. Farther down along the fence line, and the view from the deck, are two massive pho

Grass Coming In


 The project that I've been working on during the past few months is finally coming to fruition. I put out the grass seed about 3 weeks ago. It took a full two weeks for grass to appear. I had been hand-watering it but then switched to a sprinkler and I think that made a difference. Of course, if we could get some rain, I'm sure it would go to town. 


The second portion is behind and the seed here was planted later. It has taken about 10 days to appear. At the last minute, I decided to create a step-down since this area was a little lower.


  Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. The small victories are what keep us gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That first photo gives a different and very beautiful view/perspective of the garden. Before you know it, you'll be able to practice your putting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which grass did you use? No- mow or turf?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure if my earlier post will show up. Just wondering if you used turf or no-mow grass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is coming together with the grass coming in. I like the step down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is going to look so pretty once it fills in. Your garden is looking beautiful already with all the colors.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts