Skip to main content

Featured

The Garden Awakens

Anise 'Woodland Red' ( Illicium floridanum ) A few weeks ago, I thought spring would never arrive, but now the change is astonishing. The nights are still cold (40s and sometimes even 30s) so planting tender annuals and vegetables is unwise although I have already succumbed, but covering and uncovering things gets old quickly. Someone made a wise comment last week and I must agree with them - "Don't plant anything tender until after May 1". Several plants are blooming like never before. One is the Anise shrub (above and below). I don't know if the recent tree pruning, which is allowing more sun into the woodland path, is affecting it or perhaps it is just age, but I've never seen so many blooms. Michael refers to this as "the stinky fish shrub" and I have to admit to smell of the flowers is quite unpleasant. It is so beautiful that I can overlook that. The old pink dogwood tree, which was already here, shades our woodland path and it too is prett

First Day of Summer

 

Today is the first day of summer and it certainly feels like it. We are under a heat advisory with temperatures predicted to be in the 90s. Tomorrow will be even warmer when we will be near the 100 mark.

I hate it and much prefer the weather yesterday when the high was 80. We also had the marine layer of clouds in the morning (that is when the above photo of the front border was taken).

I hope the heat doesn't ruin the flowers. The front gate is smothered in clematis and roses at the moment. I've never seen so many blooms.

Clematis 'Jackmanii Superba' on the left and 'Madame Julia Correvon' on the right. The roses are 'Dublin Bay' and 'Veilchenblau'. Salvia 'Caradonna' is right outside the gate on both sides.

 

This is the front pathway closer to the house (there are two pathways in front, one gravel, one grass). 



Snapdragons and Evening Primrose blooming in the front border outside the living room living.

 


Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Your garden looks spectacular, Phillip, and I share your hope that the heat doesn't spoil it. We were lucky this week. Our top temperature hit 93F but the subsequent days were in the low-mid 80s. Our morning marine layer held and kept the temperatures from soaring higher here. The inland areas didn't fare as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be stopped in my tracks when approaching that floriferous gateway. My! That is one for the books. Your garden is such a treasure. I bet your neighbors are envious. I bet they stare and drool over the fence.
    I hope your blooms survive the heat. I bet they will with all your tlc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Phillip! Have you seen the extended forecast? Even more heat next weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have outdone yourself with your new garden. The Alabama garden was wonderful and I was so glad I got to see it but oh my, this one is stupendous. Congratulations, Phillip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning garden photos. It seems that my garden too has been more robust than usual. I'll take it! Hopefully the plants in our gardens are happier with heat than I am.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts