Skip to main content

Featured

Swapping Huckleberries

Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album)  Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album) has been an attractive feature along our north-facing foundation since I planted it in 2016. You will have to take my word for it since I cannot locate a photo although I know one exists somewhere in the realm of the Internet or floating on a cloud somewhere.  I did locate a photo of how it looked when it was first planted - It took a few years to fill out but it did so nicely to an attractive mound about 2 feet high by 3 feet wide.  Last year, it started to look bad.  I cut it back but it had not improved and this is how it looked a few weeks ago - I decided to rip it out and plant another huckleberry - this time Vaccinium ovatum , more commonly known as the "Evergreen Huckleberry".  This is a plant that I've wanted for ages and kept putting off getting one because I could not find a good place for it. By most accounts, this is an amazing plant, a native one and excellent for

Tree Fuchsia


So this plant showed up at work and I was intrigued. A tree fuchsia? I snatched one up and put it on my shelf. I usually accumulate several plants by the end of the week and decide on Saturday which ones I'm actually going to purchase. I almost put the tree fuchsia back but
thought, what the heck, I will stick it in a pot and see what happens.

An Internet search offered some information. Fuschia arborescens is a native of Central America and a member of the evening primrose family Onagraceae.  A tender perennial that can get quite large - up to 15 feet! It doesn't look like any fuchsia I've seen but the flowers are pretty and remind me of cleome or lilac. In the fall, purple/black fruits follow. 

I placed it on our deck in a spot that gets virtually no direct sunlight. It started blooming a few weeks ago. Last week, I moved it over to an area that gets direct morning sun. It seems that the blooms have increased. Information on hardiness seems to be erratic. I would think it would need protection from freezing temperatures. Time will tell.

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. There is (or was, as I don't remember seeing it on my last visit) one of these plants at my local botanic garden. It held up well in partial shade, screened from the more intense afternoon sun, there but I don't suppose that's helpful information for you. Like my garden, the nearby botanic garden is frost free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it's just fun to experiment, especially if you are intrigue and the information is sketchy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems like I have read a blog out your way that has these trees. I hope it does well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting post. I purchased this plant last year and didn't really know what it was other than the ubiquitous 'Fuschia' tag. Alas it didn't do well for me (shady but hot in a hanging basket) but reading your post just might have to try it again now knowing how it like to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's very pretty--no wonder it caught your eye!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts