Skip to main content

Featured

The Garden Awakens

Anise 'Woodland Red' ( Illicium floridanum ) A few weeks ago, I thought spring would never arrive, but now the change is astonishing. The nights are still cold (40s and sometimes even 30s) so planting tender annuals and vegetables is unwise although I have already succumbed, but covering and uncovering things gets old quickly. Someone made a wise comment last week and I must agree with them - "Don't plant anything tender until after May 1". Several plants are blooming like never before. One is the Anise shrub (above and below). I don't know if the recent tree pruning, which is allowing more sun into the woodland path, is affecting it or perhaps it is just age, but I've never seen so many blooms. Michael refers to this as "the stinky fish shrub" and I have to admit to smell of the flowers is quite unpleasant. It is so beautiful that I can overlook that. The old pink dogwood tree, which was already here, shades our woodland path and it too is prett

Heronswood

 
What a thrill to finally get to see this garden! After a ferry ride (another first for me), we arrived in the beautiful town of Kingston. Heronswood was the home and nursery of Dan Hinkley and Robert Jones. They started the garden in 1987 and lived there for thirteen years. The nursery was eventually sold to Burpee who filed bankrupcy shortly after that. The abandoned garden was purchased again in 2012 by the Port Gamble S'Klallam Tribe who have been working since to restore the gardens.


The garden is filled with many rare plants that were collected by Hinkley from all over the world. 

Our tour was conduced by Assistant Director Ross Bayton who was wonderful. Here he is telling us about the fern table in the woodland garden -
 

 
The woodland garden (a newer section) was the first garden we toured -






Leaving the woodland garden, we walked back past this totem pole with the iconic Heronswood logo -



Entering the original part of the garden. This area is also a wooded area with many shade-loving plants and a renowned collection of hydrangea, like this one -

And the largest hebe I've ever seen -

 


The towering trees were covered with climbing hydrangea-



Moving into a sunnier area, there were many Dierama ("Angel's Fishing Rod"). I loved this combination and unfortunately do not remember the name of the plant in the background. A purple oak?



 
A series of gardens lead around the original house -
 



 









Moving back away from the house and back toward the parking lot, we made our way through another series of shade gardens -





Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Wonderful! I haven't been since the early days of the tribe's ownership. When they were just starting to put the garden right again. I really need to make it back up there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you finally to your first ferry ride (aren't they fun?) especially when you were on your way to Heronswood, it is an inspiring garden. I visited just once, for a spring plant sale, shortly after the tribe took over. I believe Dan Hinkley is still serving in an advisory capacity. I wonder if visiting 3 amazing gardens in one day leave you dizzy... your post motivates me to visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That piano...every time I see photos of it, I can't help but chuckle. I have never made the trip up there. Someday... Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous photographs and tour! The woodland garden is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This would be my idea of heaven Phillip .. you took wonderful photos of this amazing place.
    I can't imagine almost losing such stunning plants set in such a perfect back drop.
    I have a weakness for woodland gardens and this was chicken soup for my garden soul, thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad that you got to tour Heronswood. I absolutely adore Heronswood!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts