Skip to main content

Featured

Upcoming Plant Sales

There will be FOUR events in the next few weeks, so mark your calendars and be sure to stop by one (or all!) of them. All proceeds help benefit our local schools. Each of the sales will offer native plants (note that some are not on the Portland Plant List). Please see below for more details about each sale! Fort Vancouver High School Plant Sale: Wednesday, April 24, 8am-6pm, Thursday, April 25, 8am-5pm and Friday, April 26, 8am-4pm Native plants available: Trees:  Cascara, Oregon White Oak, Vine Maple, Douglas Fir, Western Hemlock, Western Red Cedar;  Shrubs:  Mock Orange, Flowering Red Currant, Red Twig Dogwood, Cascade Oregon Grape, Baldhip Rose, Nootka Rose, Douglas Spirea, Thimbleberry , Serviceberry, Red Elderberry, Blue Elderberry, Black Hawthorn, Salmonberry, Golden Currant, Smooth Sumac, Salal;  Groundcovers : Western Yarrow, Wild Ginger, Sword Fern, Goldenrod, Blue-Eyed Grass, Soft Fruited Bulrush, Tufted Hair Grass, Oregon Sunshine, Maidenhair Fern, Checkermallow, Sedum Spat

The Elisabeth C. Miller Botanical Garden in Seattle

The Sunny Bank

I was very excited to get the opportunity to visit this garden because I've heard so much about it. It did not disappoint. The garden was created by Elisabeth Carey Miller and her husband Pendleton who purchased the house in 1948. Mrs. Miller was a self-taught gardener who used her artistic skills (she majored in Art History) to create the stunning garden which features a dense canopy of native conifers. She became a plant collector and tracked down unusual specimens and was known as a well-respected plantswoman in the horticultural community.

The front entrance

Visiting this garden is not exactly easy. It is situated in a restricted community and there is a limit to the number of visitors per year. You must make an appointment on the website at designated times or you can find a tour group like I did. The address isn't listed either although even if you had it, you would have to get past the security guard at the gate to the neighborhood.

I think if I lived in this neighborhood, I would never venture out beyond the gates again. Dense with huge mature trees and thick hedges, it was like entering an enchanted forest. There was so much vegetation that I only caught glimpses of two houses along the way. 


The entrance to the Miller garden is on a descending slope. The back part of the property continues to slope downhill toward the river. Our tour actually started in the back garden near the patio but I will begin in the front.



The front garden, known as the "Upper Woodland" is terraced by trails and rock walls. A huge amount of rock and logs were used in the construction of the garden.





There were quite a number of large, mature rhododendrons throughout the landscape. Mrs. Miller didn't care for flowers and actually instructed her gardeners to cut off rhododendron blooms. She only wanted the leaves. On a rhododendron like the one below ('Noyo Chief'), I can see why.




 


 Walking around the side of the house brings us to a covered patio area and a sunroom.




Outside this area is the "Sunny Bank" where our tour initially began.


Elisabeth Miller was the first person in the U.S. to grow the Japanese Forest Grass (Hakonechloa macra ‘Aureola’). The clump in the above photo is the original plant that was added over forty years ago.

I was quite taken with their large collection of cordyline. Many of these are grown in pots and protected during the winter although I think some of them may stay out year round. This was my favorite -






 

Down a set of rocky steps from the Sunny Bank brings us to the "Sunny Rockery"filled with drought-tolerant plants -




 Down lower is the Shade Rockery and Wild Garden -






 



 And finally, the Lookout Garden which overlooks the Puget Sound -





 

 A fantastic garden and one that I'd love to see again, especially in the autumn.

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Beautiful photos. What a stunning garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have really enjoyed looking at all of the pictures from your garden tour. I believe that the Miller Garden has a view of Puget Sound, not a river.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH my, this place is gorgeous. You couldn't have seen it all in the time you were there. So much to see. I call this type of planting as "back to the womb". You are surrounded by nurturing nature. I love that there is little patches of moss right beside the steps that is groomed perfectly. I must try to get a seat right by my moss area so I would be encouraged to keep it weed free. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's an absolutely spectacular garden and perhaps the best example I've seen that puts foliage before flowers. The garden of my dreams is a shady woodland garden (with water views) but woodland gardens are impossible in my part of SoCal.

    FYI, for some reason, my blog list didn't update to show your latest posts. I don't subscribe via email so that change by Blogger shouldn't have affected updates to my blog list and it hasn't happened with other blogs I follow (at least to my knowledge). I'll have to watch to see if the trend continues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I happened to glance at Kris' comment and noticed I have the same issue on my blog and in my blog reader (Netvibes). Both show your latest post as The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly from June 29th! I wonder why your feed isn't updating?

      Delete
    2. Hmmm, I have no idea why it is doing this.

      Delete
  5. My one and only visit to this garden was way back in 2013! I was supposed to visit when I gave a talk to the Northwest Hort Society in May of 2020 but of course that went online instead. All of which is to say a visit for me is way overdue!

    Something that struck me with your photos, how "undersized" the house is. I didn't notice it in person, but it's such a realistic sized home, not one of today's oversized McMansions. I love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! On their website, you can see photos of the house as it looked when they moved in. It looks bigger with no plants around it. But, like you said, it is still a rather modest house. As exclusive as the neighborhood is, I was surprised.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts