Skip to main content

Featured

Swapping Huckleberries

Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album)  Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album) has been an attractive feature along our north-facing foundation since I planted it in 2016. You will have to take my word for it since I cannot locate a photo although I know one exists somewhere in the realm of the Internet or floating on a cloud somewhere.  I did locate a photo of how it looked when it was first planted - It took a few years to fill out but it did so nicely to an attractive mound about 2 feet high by 3 feet wide.  Last year, it started to look bad.  I cut it back but it had not improved and this is how it looked a few weeks ago - I decided to rip it out and plant another huckleberry - this time Vaccinium ovatum , more commonly known as the "Evergreen Huckleberry".  This is a plant that I've wanted for ages and kept putting off getting one because I could not find a good place for it. By most accounts, this is an amazing plant, a native one and excellent for

Hope from the Garden


After the horrendous heat wave that hit the Pacific Northwest a few weeks ago, it is not just our gardens and plants that are in shock - gardeners are too. I hear it on a daily basis at the nursery. Shock, dismay, and disbelief. Gardeners are concerned and rightly so.

Despite the ever-changing climate and worries of the world, the garden remains a peaceful escape and a reprieve from ongoing challenges. 

And with all this comes the visual evidence that mother nature has the remarkable ability to heal.

One of the most damaged plants in the garden was the Wheel Tree (Trochodendron araliodes). Though situated in a position where it gets only morning sun, even that was too much for the poor thing. 


 

However, just a few days later, I noticed new leaves beginning to form... 


 

Nearby, a camellia was also burned -


 

But later when I looked at it again, new leaves had emerged and the whole plant looked much better -

 

 

Now on to plants that do look remarkably well at the moment. Fuchsias in the pots got the most damage. Most of the fuchsias in the ground look fine -

 

Pineapple Guava (Feijoa sellowianais) blooming. I still only get a handful of blooms. I wonder if this plants needs to achieve more maturity to be covered?


I love the Butterfly Weed (Asclepias tuberosa 'Gay Butterflies') and so do the bees -

 

Ornamental Oregano (Origanum 'Kent Beauty') and Lavender 'Phenomenal'


 

Peruvian Daffodil (Hymenocallis)

 

My favorite Hosta 'Rainforest Sunrise' -


Hebe 'Sunset Boulevard' and Rose 'Essex' -


Another Hebe that I forget the name of and Cistus 'Mickie' -


I hope your gardens are faring well with the world's nature extremes!


Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Isn't it amazing how quickly plants recover (assuming they didn't fully fry)? I think that if they get enough water it can make the difference between making it and giving up the ghost.
    Ornamental Oregano and Lavender make such a soft, nostalgic photo... I love it, well done! I also admire the bird bath in the last photo. Who's the artist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I an so happy for you that your garden is recovering. Your photography is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m so glad your plants are recovering from the heat wave. May it ease up for you soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts