Skip to main content

Featured

Professional Pruning

I rarely resort to hiring help in the garden but I'm learning that sometimes it is wise to do so and worth every penny. Case in point - some hideous out-of-control trees that were beyond my ability to deal with. If I were smarter, I would have tackled these issues from the beginning but I didn't know better. The first is a pear tree that was planted along the back fence line. I've worked on this for the past several years, every year with the intent of reducing the height or possibly removing it altogether. As you can see in the photo, I had cut back everything but three limbs and finally realized that it would be dangerous for me to try and bring them down. The limbs grow straight up into the air and the remaining three are about 20 feet tall.  After -- there is a hole in the sky view but the tree should fill in nicely for a good screen and I can keep it trimmed down from this point forward. Farther down along the fence line, and the view from the deck, are two massive pho

Apples & Peaches


Our forlorn apple tree still stands despite my constant plans for removing it. Since the trunk of it is the size of a small house, taking it out is something to think about. And heaven forbid hiring someone to trample over my plants. So it remains. Every year, in the dead of winter, I cut it back although several of the limbs are difficult to reach and some always remain. This year, I cut more than I usually do and only two or three large branches still stood, reaching straight up into the sky. 

Judging from the apples this year, maybe I'm doing something right -

However, it is hard to find a good apple unless it is picked from the tree (hard to reach). The ones on the ground always have bad spots on them. We've never treated the tree for disease or insects and the thought of doing that doesn't appeal to me. 

I usually make at least one pie or cake every year from the unblemished apples I am able to retrieve. 



My go-to apple recipe is the French Apple Tart from Ina Garten. I make it at least twice a year. I form it differently from her though and instead of making it flat, I fold up the edges like a galette.

A friend brought us some peaches and again, I turned to Ina for a recipe and tried this Peach Cake which turned out nicely.



Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Hopefully, the apple tree's performance this year has earned it at least another year's reprieve ;) I inherited 2 persimmon trees which have never done much until this year - it's too bad that neither my husband nor I care for persimmons. Most will go to friends, neighbors and the critters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! Ina Garten's recipes are deee-lish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peach cake! I’ve longed for a peach pie all summer, but just couldn’t find nice peaches. Phooey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum! The apple tarts looks amazing. My mother in law has apple trees and this year for some reason I am into making homemade applesauce. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts