Skip to main content

Featured

Swapping Huckleberries

Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album)  Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album) has been an attractive feature along our north-facing foundation since I planted it in 2016. You will have to take my word for it since I cannot locate a photo although I know one exists somewhere in the realm of the Internet or floating on a cloud somewhere.  I did locate a photo of how it looked when it was first planted - It took a few years to fill out but it did so nicely to an attractive mound about 2 feet high by 3 feet wide.  Last year, it started to look bad.  I cut it back but it had not improved and this is how it looked a few weeks ago - I decided to rip it out and plant another huckleberry - this time Vaccinium ovatum , more commonly known as the "Evergreen Huckleberry".  This is a plant that I've wanted for ages and kept putting off getting one because I could not find a good place for it. By most accounts, this is an amazing plant, a native one and excellent for

Garden Blogger's Bloom Day - October 2022

Aster 'Purple Dome'

It feels more like September here and tonight the weatherman gave a startling statistic for this area. So far, during the month of October (and we are only halfway through it), we've had 10 days over 80 degrees. In the past decade, the most days with 80+ temps was 2 days. 

Here what's blooming in the garden this month -

Gaura 'Beeliza Dark Pink' - my favorite Gaura and so well behaved.

Cuphea 'Starfire Pink' - Bought on a whim from Annie's Annuals, this is a really nice one.


Brugmansia (Angel's Trumpet) 'Charles Grimaldi' - I thought it would never bloom this year but it is finally showing off.

Aralia 'Sun King'

Western Ironweed (Vernonia baldwinii)



Anenome


Goldenrod (Solidago 'Fireworks')


Clematis 'Josephine'


Pennisetum '24 Karat'


Hibiscus 'Midnight Marvel'


Mahonia 'Soft Caress'

Fuchsia 'Cardinal'

Fuchsia 'Voodoo'

Hardy Begonia 

Dahlia

Another Dahlia

Datura 'Double Purple'

Dicliptera suberecta (Uruguayan firecracker plant)


Check out what is blooming on other blogs at May Dreams Gardens.


Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. I am amazed by that gaura! Its flowers are so huge compared to my Siskiyou Pink and Rosy Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If my asters had formed a nice clump like that instead of attempting a takeover of half my back garden, I wouldn't have pulled them out last year. (They're still attempting a comeback.) You've got a great range of blooms. The only thing we share this month is Cuphea 'Starfire Pink', which I've grown for years (and also came from Annie's), but mine are currently in need of a good pruning as they're scraggly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Starfire Pink Cuphea - the only ones I have grown are orange and yellow. This year I grew Vermillionaire and our hummingbird loved it until it migrated in the first week of September. (The cuphea didn't make it to my GBBD post). I have never had luck with pink anemone so enjoyed yours. That hibiscus is majestic, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alana, I grow Vermillionaire every year in a pot just for the hummingbirds. I think it is their #1 plant here.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! I especially like the Clematis and the Dahlia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of beauty in your garden at the moment, Phillip. That Datura 'Double Purple' really is something else. It reminds me of the icing on an elaborate cupcake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is 1 heck of a beautiful Gaura. Your garden looks wonderful...maybe it's okay for the summer to linger a bit longer up north?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts