Skip to main content

Featured

Swapping Huckleberries

Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album)  Himalayan Honeysuckle ( Vaccinium glauco album) has been an attractive feature along our north-facing foundation since I planted it in 2016. You will have to take my word for it since I cannot locate a photo although I know one exists somewhere in the realm of the Internet or floating on a cloud somewhere.  I did locate a photo of how it looked when it was first planted - It took a few years to fill out but it did so nicely to an attractive mound about 2 feet high by 3 feet wide.  Last year, it started to look bad.  I cut it back but it had not improved and this is how it looked a few weeks ago - I decided to rip it out and plant another huckleberry - this time Vaccinium ovatum , more commonly known as the "Evergreen Huckleberry".  This is a plant that I've wanted for ages and kept putting off getting one because I could not find a good place for it. By most accounts, this is an amazing plant, a native one and excellent for

Trees at the old Homestead

The Pin Oak at my childhood home -
I would say it is the most successful tree I've ever planted.

I've been in Alabama for ten days where the weather was uncharacteristically fantastic. Temperatures pretty much stayed in the 70s and there was no humidity to speak of. Unheard of! Here in Washington state, we are still flirting with the 80s and still no rain. Fall refuses to arrive.

Actually, the absence of rain is evident in Alabama as well, a more common occurrence. The little creek back in the woods behind the house was patchy and not running. 

Over the years, I've growth various plants here and most have succumbed or still languish. My parents are both gone now and my sister lives here and takes care of my brother who is mentally challenged. She is not a gardener (I knew this when I saw that she once planted a row of iris 3 inches from the foundation of the house) but that is okay. She is adept at many things I am not (particularly caregiving which requires a special ability indeed). 

Plants here have to endure extreme heat and humidity in the summer, bitter cold and wet conditions in the winter, and wild swings of temperature fluctuations. If that isn't enough to contend with, the soil here is horrendous clay that gets soggy in the winter and cracks open during the droughts of summer. 

On this trip, I was contemplating the trees that I've planted here over the years. The ones that are still here have done well and there are some that have not. Oak trees flourish. The woods behind the house are full of them as well as hickory, sycamore, hornbeam and cedar.

The unknown oak that has always been in the front yard

The tree that I most associate with childhood and home is the oak tree in the front yard. As a child, I remember is being large but have no idea how old it is or the type. It still provides a commanding presence although for years, I've expected it to die. It sometimes look dreadful during the droughts but it endures. The acorns that fall from it in the fall and usually extremely heavy and they carpet the ground.

This was always the largest tree in the yard until a box elder planted close by surpassed it. They are about the same height but the box elder is much wider and denser. I have no idea where this tree came from, whether it was a stray seedling that popped up or perhaps my Dad planted it. 

Box Elder


Even larger is the Pin Oak that I planted. This is my pride and joy. I don't remember when I put it in the ground but I'm guessing it is about 20 years old. 

Another view of the Pin Oak


There are several crape myrtles that I have planted and they do well here. The largest and most imposing is 'Natchez'. I almost always miss the flowers but I could see that this one bloomed well this year.

Crape Myrtle 'Natchez'


I don't see many bloom remains on the smaller crape myrtles, however, and I'm not sure why they don't bloom as well. This one (variety unknown) is the only tree on the property that is showing fall colors -

Unknown variety of Crape Myrtle showing fall colors


The Chinese Pistache (Pistacia chinensis) is also very beautiful. This is a tree that I don't see often in Washington and we do not sell it at the nursery. I think they need heat in order to perform well. There is a lots of them planted in Florence (Alabama) as street trees. Exceptional fall color although no evidence of this while I was here.

Chinese Pistache


Another tree that I don't see too much in Washington is the Sweet Bay Magnolia (Magnolia virginiana). I love the shape and form of this tree and it grew well in the lower part of the yard here where it is very wet in winter. The growth rate has been fairly rapid. I don't ever recall seeing flowers however.



Another magnolia is the Saucer Magnolia (Magnolia x soulangeana). This one is commonly seen in Washington, there are many in our neighborhood. In Alabama, they bloom so early that the blooms are often destroyed by frosts but in years they can escape that, they are so beautiful.

Saucer Magnolia - in hindsight, I think I planted it too close to the house.

Saucer Magnolia, looking directly at it from the front.


Oddly, Magnolia grandiflora, the 'Southern Magnolia' has not performed well (below). I've planted two and both of them did poorly. This one has been in the ground for over a decade and refuses to grow or flourish. I thought about replacing it but it was near the end of my stay, plus I had no means of transporting a large tree if I did purchase one. 

Magnolia grandiflora, looking very sad


One of my favorite trees is the Fringe Tree (Chionanthus virginicus). This tree was planted here shortly before we moved to Washington. I've also planted one in our garden in Vancouver.

Fringe Tree


A red maple is doing okay although I see some ugliness near the top -

Red Maple 


The fig tree has become massive and my sister says that it did does produce fruit -

Fig


The River Birch (Betula nigra) also does well and they do well in wet soils. I can see that it is drought stressed at the top. We had two of these flanking the front sides of our house in Florence. Beautiful trees but messy. The tender branches fall everywhere during strong winds. The beautiful white Himalayan birches (Betula Jacquemontii) here in Washington are all dying of borers. I'm told that the river birch are not as bad.

River Birch 

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Even if they're not all in the best condition, that's quite a collection of trees, Phillip. It must have been wonderful to grow up surrounded by so many wonderful specimens. I imagine that visiting your family homestead is a bittersweet experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love this post--especially that you compare relative viability in both states. A joy to read. And next time in your garden, I need to check out your Fringe Tree. I've always had a crush on that one, but don't remember seeing your splendid WA place. There's so much to look at there! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a wonderful collection of beautiful trees - so many good ones! Interesting that the Great Southern Magnolia isn't thriving... there is a giant one in our front yard, and it isn't exactly thriving here either. I finally realized our summers are way too dry for it, so a couple of years ago, I started watering it, trying to emulate the more humid summers of its home. I'm amazed it took me that long to figure that out - sheesh!
    Also, an interesting thing I read last year; Pistachios are one of the most highly allergenic trees around, for those who are allergic to pollen. Knowing that, it's an puzzling decision to use it for a street tree citywide. The info came from a book called "The Allergy-Fighting Garden", if you're interested in learning more.
    Anna K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, the water issue could very well be the issue with the magnolia. I did not know that about the pistache tree. That is very interesting!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts