Skip to main content

Featured

A Closer Look at Winter Damage

But first, take a look at this gorgeous rainbow that we had on Friday! The five-day stretch of warm temperatures last week really jump-started the garden. Now that plants are putting out new growth, it is easier to see what kind of damage the winter left. Back in mid-January, we experienced five straight days of below-freezing temperatures. This caused much damage in Portland and areas where frigid winds were a factor. Here, we were fortunate to not get the wind and the cold temperatures were dampened by a blanket of snow. That said, it was a tough time for the garden and there are noticeable casualties but no outright deaths that I have seen. The bottlebrush ( Callistemon 'Woodlander's Red') did not like the cold at all. It was planted six years ago, in the north-facing garden no less, and I've not experienced die-back on it until now. A local expert said to cut it all the way back so that is what I did. If it doesn't make it, I won't be too distraught. It is

Casualties and Near Misses


Before I show the ugly, we can look at the pretty. Camassia leichtlinii is blooming in two spots. The best-looking one is the one planted alongside the street. This is a plant that likes wet areas although neither of mine are located in particularly wet spots.

By most accounts, this winter was a tough one with colder temperatures and several heavy snows. Portland received a particularly bad ice event although Vancouver was spared from that. 

Looking around the garden, I really can't complain. There are only a few plant deaths that I've noticed.

Some plants are not completely dead and in the case of Clematis montana 'Freda', I think I might be jumping the gun. It sure looks dead but when I started to cut it out, I noticed a few green stems underneath and many of the dead-looking growth feels soft. However, there is a noticeable amount of dead wood. In looking at previous year's posts, I see that it is usually in bloom later in May. We've had a slow warm-up this Spring so perhaps it is a bit behind. I will know soon.


Last year around this time - 



Close by the clematis is Dierema dracomontanum, commonly known as "Angel's Fishing Rod". This is just another "near-death" situation and the plant is actually fine.  I've never had a good place to put this plant but last year it actually bloomed. I'm considering moving it again. It is just not in a good location. The sad truth is that there is really not a good spot anywhere in the garden for this plant. It wants a lot of space.


Here it is in 2019 at Joy Creek Nursery -



Grevillea juniperina 'Low Red' - lots of die-back on this one which I've cut out. This is planted by the street and has performed well in the past. This is one of Michael's favorites. I am trying more grevellias in other parts of the garden. 



And finally, poor Hebe 'Sunset Boulevard'. Hebes have always been iffy and I've killed my fair share. Some are certainly hardier than others. I have to confess that I wanted this one because of the name (I'm a big fan of the movie) but it surprised me with fast, vigorous growth and beautiful blooms. Sadly, it appears that about 80% of it is now dead. This one will likely have to go. I plan to cut away the dead first and then make a decision.



Hebe 'Sunset Boulevard' in happier days -



So, out of all of these, there is just one that appears to be a probable loss (the hebe). A few others, like the grevillea will be a "wait and see" situation. 

I think we have fared rather well despite the harsh winter. How did your garden fare?


Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Wow last year photo of C. montana--how gorgeous! Traffic stopper. Surely it will come back strongly from the roots?

    Ditto the Hebe. What a beautiful plant. I'm a big fan of the movie as well. Billy Wilder was simply brilliant and SB is a masterpiece in so many ways. It always leaves me awestruck.

    Your winter was harsh ours was miraculous. Another nearly rainless winter was predicted and we got the opposite. So very grateful for ours, but sad about the losses for PNW gardeners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the clematis recovers quickly and offers you another wonderful display. Here it's summer (and drought) that kills off plants but winters like you've had in the PNW seem to be just as vicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can appreciate that term 'near death'. It seems I have a few of those plants in that realm. You have so many pretties. I bet these few just need a little more time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa that clematis! Beautiful, I bet the sun this weekend will spark signs of life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the graceful Dierema blooms, so true to their common name, but the plant can occupy a large space and doesn't look all so fabulous all the time. My focus lately has been year round interest, so my Dierema may eventually have to go.
    Only recently, I've become aware of Camassia leichtlinii existence. I'd love to add them to my garden. Would you say they are well behave or spread profusely?
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they have a tendency to pop up in various places. I haven't noticed it so far in my garden but have in others.

      Delete
  6. There are always garden fatalities after the winter, but it doesn’t usually bother me that much, because it’s so fun to try new things!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts