Skip to main content

Featured

The Garden Awakens

Anise 'Woodland Red' ( Illicium floridanum ) A few weeks ago, I thought spring would never arrive, but now the change is astonishing. The nights are still cold (40s and sometimes even 30s) so planting tender annuals and vegetables is unwise although I have already succumbed, but covering and uncovering things gets old quickly. Someone made a wise comment last week and I must agree with them - "Don't plant anything tender until after May 1". Several plants are blooming like never before. One is the Anise shrub (above and below). I don't know if the recent tree pruning, which is allowing more sun into the woodland path, is affecting it or perhaps it is just age, but I've never seen so many blooms. Michael refers to this as "the stinky fish shrub" and I have to admit to smell of the flowers is quite unpleasant. It is so beautiful that I can overlook that. The old pink dogwood tree, which was already here, shades our woodland path and it too is prett

Hello Spring

Flowering Quince 'Double Take Orange Storm' and Veronica 'Georgia Blue'


It took its sweet time getting here but last week we had three really warm days that made a dramatic difference in the garden. Last Saturday the temperature got into the high 80s which was unusual. Sunday brought us back into more seasonal weather with more clouds and temperatures in the 50s and 60s.

Remember that pathetic looking Japanese Maple that I posted about earlier. Just look at it now -

Acer palmatum 'Shaina'

Another nice Japanese Maple that is in a pot and unidentified - that is Camellia 'Donation' behind it -



Looking down the pathway in front with Cedrus deodara 'Feelin Blue' on the left and Japanese Maple 'Skeeter's Broom' behind it -



Daphne 'Carol Mackie'

Rhododendron 'Ramapo' and Viburnum davidii

Tulips and Barberry 'Admiration'

Rhododendron augustinii

Japanese Maple 'Dancing Peacock'

Dogwood 'Wolf'ss Eyes'


False Spirea (Sobaria sorbifolia)



Fatsia 'Spider's Web' and Rhododendron 'Taurus' in the background


Emerging Ferns

Geum 'Mango Lassie'


Pansy

Thanks for looking!

Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. I love all the red touches in your garden, Phillip. I can't get over the incredible flowers on the Acer 'Dancing Peacock' either. I've never seen a Japanese maple that flowered so beautifully. Best wishes for a wonderful display throughout spring without any further blasts of cold temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Dancing Peacock' certainly outdoes the others when it comes to those flowers!

      Delete
  2. Your Geum 'Mango Lassie' is divine. My attempts at growing any Geum have been pitiful. What condition do you have that help it look so good?
    It's interesting how some Japanese maples are fully leafed while others still show more bare branches than anything else. My red maple is in full glory, the coral bark maple lags behind.
    In the photo "Rhododendron 'Ramapo' and Viburnum davidii" I notice added garden art: the metal leafs on the left and three gorgeous pots on the right. I love it.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The geum is in a raised bed so perhaps that helps? I'm not sure either. The leafy sculpture is a trellis support that I use for a climbing fuchsia. The pots are part of a solar fountain that, surprise!, doesn't work well. Both were review products that I got through Amazon. I've contemplated removing the fountain. I'd love a natural looking rock waterfall there.

      Delete
  3. Wow, your spring garden is looking perfect! I especially love the picture you took of the pathway, seeing all the colors together in harmony.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much color already. A beautiful spring despite any weather.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts