Skip to main content

Featured

The Garden Awakens

Anise 'Woodland Red' ( Illicium floridanum ) A few weeks ago, I thought spring would never arrive, but now the change is astonishing. The nights are still cold (40s and sometimes even 30s) so planting tender annuals and vegetables is unwise although I have already succumbed, but covering and uncovering things gets old quickly. Someone made a wise comment last week and I must agree with them - "Don't plant anything tender until after May 1". Several plants are blooming like never before. One is the Anise shrub (above and below). I don't know if the recent tree pruning, which is allowing more sun into the woodland path, is affecting it or perhaps it is just age, but I've never seen so many blooms. Michael refers to this as "the stinky fish shrub" and I have to admit to smell of the flowers is quite unpleasant. It is so beautiful that I can overlook that. The old pink dogwood tree, which was already here, shades our woodland path and it too is prett

The Plant That Took 6 Years To Bloom



That would be Embothrium coccineum, also known as "Chilean Flame Tree" or "Chilean Fire Bush". A very persnickety plant, it was planted in February 2017 and is now about 4 feet tall and has finally bloomed. The Gossler's, in their excellent book "The Gossler Guide to the Best Hardy Shrubs" says that it will grow anywhere from 4 feet shrub to a 50 feet tree. In Rueben Hatch's garden (he sadly passed away last year), a specimen there is about 15 feet tall. It is the largest one I've ever seen.

This plant will only grow in western Washington, Oregon and northern California. I love the Gossler's description:  "People wanting to grow E. coccineum in the eastern part of the country will find that it dies as soon as it gets in the box and knows where it is going."

Unfortunately, I planted it behind the enormous shrub rose 'Buff Beauty' which totally obscures it and it also resides close to the Parrotia (Ironwood) which is beginning to shade it but I do not intend to move it as it would mean certain death. 



Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Hilarious comment by Gossler.
    As it happened, I photographed Embothrium coccineum yesterday at the Rhododendron Species Botanical Garden. It is difficult for me to judge that it's hight, maybe 10'-15', just outside the greenhouse. Those blooms are hard to resist.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to you for hanging in there! There are a couple of these plants in my local botanic garden but they were probably planted 50-60 years ago when the garden was first developed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating. How does such a plant exist in nature, if it is so difficult to grow, and blooms so reluctantly? Reminds me of Franklinia, which only exists in cultivation now.
    You’ve piqued my interest in the Gosslers. I ordered the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a lilac tree that took forever to bloom. I finally told it it better bloom or I was taking it out. I think it got the message and decided to bloom that spring. Ha...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts