Skip to main content

Featured

The Wet, Wet Garden

After worrying about the rain deficit (we were below normal for April), Mother Nature generously rewarded us with an abundance of rain this past week. I am not going to complain although I do wish it would skip my off-days. Today (Saturday) is an especially wet day. I ventured out briefly and took a few shots. The plants grow so fast from the rain. Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Early morning stroll


It is the Fourth of July and this morning was cool before the onslaught of hot weather predicted for later today. I took a few photos and it was fairly nice and quiet out with the exception of someone shooting fireworks - yes at 7 AM. I am not a fan of the holiday.

The above photo is the planting by the mailbox. I did have three Salvia 'Caradonna' here for years but several of them did not come back this Spring so I opted for another route. There is a 'Hot Lips' Salvia peeking from the back and it takes me a while to get going. The clematis hanging from the mailbox (top left corner) is 'Taiga'. The golden grass at the base is Pennisetum '24 Karat'. The red coreopsis is called 'Ladybird'. A pansy in the foreground. They amaze me at how long they go out here, usually all season.

Clematis 'Jackmanii Superba' flourishing on the gate arbor. Now why couldn't the clematis have looked like this for the Rogerson Clematis Tour a few weeks ago?


Another clematis doing really well is 'Arabella'. This morning a yellow lily in a pot close to it was blooming -


Hydrangeas are beginning to show off -

'Outer Banks'

Hydrangea quercifolia 'Pee Wee'

'Spreading Beauty'

A miniature hosta that blooms its head off. It is probably 'Munchkin' or perhaps 'Little Jay'. 

The Smoke Tree 'Royal Purple' has so many blooms this year.

My favorite Smoke Tree is 'Golden Spirit'. The rose below it is 'The Fairy'. 

'The Fairy' rose and Veronica 'Purpleicious'

Peruvian Lily (Altroemeria)

Oregon Grape (Mahonia repens)




Potentilla 'Gold Star' and Lavender 'Wee One'


Hebe 'Caladonia'

Fuchsia 'Golden Gate'

Agastache 'Little Adder'


Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Your garden is looking great, especially the Clematis--awesome. Beautiful Cotinus too, both of them and the Hydrangeas. Early morning is the best time--but fireworks at 7am? Tacky!

    Not a fan of fireworks either. Sound and fury signifying nothing. Here big new thing is choreographed lit-up drone shows--all for that, not so noisy, no air pollution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got a lot of wonderful summer color, Phillip! I'm envious of your beautiful Clematis and that very floirferous Hebe. I really don't get fireworks, especially those shot off during the daylight hours - we heard those constantly throughout the day yesterday and then of course it sounded like a war zone last night :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made an excellent choice with Salvia 'hot lips': its very hardy and a perfect fit to the colorful vignette by the mail box.
    I'm growing and loving Hydrangea 'Pee Wee' though I was fooled by the name thinking it will be smaller... it's rather robust. And speaking of Hydrangea: how's your cascading hydrangea "fairytrail bride" doing? I'm still looking for that one. Heronswood is having a Hydrangea festival in August. Maybe I'll find it there.
    Although Agastache 'Little Adder' is lovely, the star in the photo is the dish of sparkling trinkets. One of Michael's creations?
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Fairytrail Bride' is doing okay in a large pot but I don't think it is getting enough sun since there have been few blooms. I've even tried using a reflector to project more light onto it but so far no luck. The pot is too big to move so I may end up moving it out of that pot. It is growing well though. The birdbath with the stones are ones that we given to us.

      Delete
  4. Holy cow! Your garden is looking glorious, the combinations you've done just sing. Your neighbors have infinite inspiration. Hopefully the fireworks weren't awful as the day went on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had forgotten I used to have a Ladybird coreopsis at one time until I saw yours. It must have succumbed a winter or two ago. I love the Spreading Beauty hydrangea.
    I am a sucker for blue/purple. Your garden looks lovely, Phillip! And I, too, dislike fireworks, do not get the appeal of spending so much money on BOOMS,
    especially when they off until 3 am... Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, I just found a photo of that hydrangea when it was first planted and it had pink flowers!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts