Skip to main content

Featured

The Wet, Wet Garden

After worrying about the rain deficit (we were below normal for April), Mother Nature generously rewarded us with an abundance of rain this past week. I am not going to complain although I do wish it would skip my off-days. Today (Saturday) is an especially wet day. I ventured out briefly and took a few shots. The plants grow so fast from the rain. Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Sebright Gardens



I've wanted to visit Sebright Gardens in Brooks, Oregon since moving here and finally got the chance this week - many thanks to my friend Linda who invited me on this excursion. It has been eons since I've ventured beyond the house and workplace and it was fun getting away. We also stopped at the Rogerson Clematis Garden and I will share photos of it later.

Sebright Gardens specializes in hostas, epimedium and ferns. I was mainly interested in seeing their display gardens but of course I could not escape without buying something. I did practice restraint, however, and only purchased one epimedium and one fern. I did look at the hostas but so many varieties was frankly overwhelming and I gave up.

The bright midday sun was discouraging for good photos and I'm afraid these are not the best. Hopefully they will give you an idea of the wide array of plants. I was astounded by trees and shrubs, most of them unfamiliar to me.









The retail area for visitors doesn't fully include all of their plants. Many have to be requested in advance or through mail order. Here is a glimpse of the hostas in a holding area, off limits to the public -




And hostas in the greenhouse - as far as the eye can see! -


Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. I agree with you on the number of hosta cultivars out there. The specimens at Seabright look incredibly lush and happy. I admire your restraint as it must have been hard to not bring any back. Lovely display gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But you didn't tell us what you bought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah - Epimedium 'Waterfall' and Golden Zebra Fern

      Delete
  3. Oh my! No wonder you've been wanting to visit. Such beautiful Hostas--as well as everything else.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts