Skip to main content

Featured

The Wet, Wet Garden

After worrying about the rain deficit (we were below normal for April), Mother Nature generously rewarded us with an abundance of rain this past week. I am not going to complain although I do wish it would skip my off-days. Today (Saturday) is an especially wet day. I ventured out briefly and took a few shots. The plants grow so fast from the rain. Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Dog Days of Summer



The Dog Days of Summer are upon us, especially here in the Pacific Northwest, where we are having our first lengthy heatwave. Temperatures have been over 100 since Monday but hopefully today (Wednesday) will be the last day and maybe it will be gone for the year. Hearing how the weather is in other parts of country certainly makes me thankful that we don't have to contend with it for long.



We've been watering early - Michael usually waters the back and I do the front. It takes us about one hour so when I'm not around to help, Michael spends at least two hours watering. Yes we do an insane amount of watering but we rarely spend money on other things so it is all about priorities. 


We don't have a sprinkler system so all the pots are hand-watered and anything else that looks like it needs it. Overhead sprinklers and soaker hoses are used once per week to cover the larger areas. If we get out there by 8, we can be back inside by 10am. The heat usually arrives in late afternoon and the hottest time is around 5pm. It takes a long time for the temperatures to cool down - last night it was still 90 at 10pm - but once it does, there is a good cool down overnight. I think that helps save a lot of plants.



We have two small strips of grass and unfortunately it takes frequent watering to keep them green. A guilt-inducer for sure. I actually slacked on the strip of grass in the front garden but once it started to brown terribly, I couldn't stand it any longer and I started watering. I'm experimenting with it to see just how little watering I can get away it. I refuse to water it daily and right now, three times per week is working. 





Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Your garden looks lush even with the persistent heat, Phillip. I hope today really is the end of it for you. I'm a little gobsmacked that temperatures in the PNW have been running higher than those here, although admittedly our inland valleys haven't been as lucky as we are along the coast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden looks insanely green and beautiful and plants look happy despite a heat wave. The careful watering you and Michael are doing obviously is working very well. --hb

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts