Skip to main content

Featured

The Wet, Wet Garden

After worrying about the rain deficit (we were below normal for April), Mother Nature generously rewarded us with an abundance of rain this past week. I am not going to complain although I do wish it would skip my off-days. Today (Saturday) is an especially wet day. I ventured out briefly and took a few shots. The plants grow so fast from the rain. Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Early Fall?


One of our local meterologists posted today that we are headed for an early fall. Music to my ears! It only got up to around 70 yesterday and we had an all-day marine layer. That hasn't happened in a long time. Today is equally tolerable and there has been some light rain showers.  Summer is my least favorite season so I'm happy to see it go.

On the minus side, August was one of the hottest on record for Portland and it is so dry that some plants in the garden are showing stress despite being watered. Relief is in sight - there is an 80% chance of rain on Thursday.

Some shots from the garden today -


Zinnias and Aster 'Kickin Purple'

Hibiscus 'Midnight Marvel'




Rose 'Buff Beauty'

Abelia 'Frances Mason' (a gift from Paul Bonine!)

Persicaria 'Blackfield'

Juniper 'All Gold'

Vernonia baldwinii (Western Ironweed



Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Your garden still looks very summery (and absolutely beautiful!) but I hope the prediction of an early fall is true. Summer is also my least favorite season and it's stifling here at the moment - we hit 97F this afternoon. I envy you that chance of rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see some toasted Hosta, but overall your garden still looks fabulous. 'Buff Beauty' yes she is. 70F! Ahhhh, lovely gardening weather! We had 98F today. Not so Ahhhh. Hope you get a good rain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a beautiful garden. I, too, am ready for fall. Summer in North Texas as been extremely hot this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sure know how to knit a garden. Love seeing your posts. They are inspiring. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those juniper berries are great!
    The Hosta shot illustrates how some are more tolerant of sun than others. I transplanted a hosta to a morning sun-dappled shade and it's toasted. Others with greater exposure look fine, just like those in your picture.
    LOVE the stone Morrell mushroomll!
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts