Skip to main content

Featured

The Plants Bees Love

In this day and time, I would hope gardeners understand the importance of bees and other insects in the garden. However, from time to time, a person comes into the nursery and asks for plants that will NOT attract bees (sigh). They are not really gardeners though, they are just looking for a plant to fill a space. I find myself more and more intrigued by bees although I don't know that much about the different types. I do make note of plants that they like and try to add as many as I can to the garden. Over the past weeks, with watering a daily activity amidst a lingering heat-wave, I've conducted an informal survey and noted the plants that they seem to like the most. Butterfly Weed ( Asclepias tuberosa ) Butterfly Weed ( Asclepias tuberosa ) is one of my favorite perennials and the bees love it too. I don't think I've ever seen a butterfly on it but we don't seem to have many of those. Everybody wants the "Showy Milkweed" (Asclepias speciosa) but I knew

Swapping Huckleberries

Himalayan Honeysuckle (Vaccinium glauco album) 


Himalayan Honeysuckle (Vaccinium glauco album) has been an attractive feature along our north-facing foundation since I planted it in 2016. You will have to take my word for it since I cannot locate a photo although I know one exists somewhere in the realm of the Internet or floating on a cloud somewhere. 

I did locate a photo of how it looked when it was first planted -



It took a few years to fill out but it did so nicely to an attractive mound about 2 feet high by 3 feet wide. 

Last year, it started to look bad.  I cut it back but it had not improved and this is how it looked a few weeks ago -



I decided to rip it out and plant another huckleberry - this time Vaccinium ovatum, more commonly known as the "Evergreen Huckleberry".  This is a plant that I've wanted for ages and kept putting off getting one because I could not find a good place for it. By most accounts, this is an amazing plant, a native one and excellent for wildlife. The white and pink bell-shaped flowers are appearing now and they are popular with pollinators.




Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. It's too bad you Himalayan variety gave up - it was very pretty. I hope the evergreen variety proves to be more tolerant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to yank something when it's not doing well, but I bet it feels great to look and see your beautiful new evergreen Huckleberry thriving. Also, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lime bleed-off from your house's foundation may be the culprit. Azaleas often suffer the same fate when planted too close to a house.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts