Skip to main content

Featured

Upcoming Plant Sales

There will be FOUR events in the next few weeks, so mark your calendars and be sure to stop by one (or all!) of them. All proceeds help benefit our local schools. Each of the sales will offer native plants (note that some are not on the Portland Plant List). Please see below for more details about each sale! Fort Vancouver High School Plant Sale: Wednesday, April 24, 8am-6pm, Thursday, April 25, 8am-5pm and Friday, April 26, 8am-4pm Native plants available: Trees:  Cascara, Oregon White Oak, Vine Maple, Douglas Fir, Western Hemlock, Western Red Cedar;  Shrubs:  Mock Orange, Flowering Red Currant, Red Twig Dogwood, Cascade Oregon Grape, Baldhip Rose, Nootka Rose, Douglas Spirea, Thimbleberry , Serviceberry, Red Elderberry, Blue Elderberry, Black Hawthorn, Salmonberry, Golden Currant, Smooth Sumac, Salal;  Groundcovers : Western Yarrow, Wild Ginger, Sword Fern, Goldenrod, Blue-Eyed Grass, Soft Fruited Bulrush, Tufted Hair Grass, Oregon Sunshine, Maidenhair Fern, Checkermallow, Sedum Spat

Early Bloomers

Camellia 'Donation'


We've had roller coaster weather with some very dreary days - last Wednesday was particularly grim working at the nursery on a cold, windy and wet day. However, more and more days are those like today - sunny, 60-ish and sublime. It is a favorite time of year when each day brings more green. Not to mention more flowers. Herre is a sampling from the garden today -

Blood Currant (Ribes sanguineum)


Euphorbia 'Miner's Merlot' (Euphorbia purpurea)


Anenome blanda


Daphne tangutica & Blue-eyed Mary (Omphaloides verna)

Veronica 'Georgia Blue'

Tree Heath (Erica arborea)

Serviceberry (Amelanchier grandiflora 'Autumn Brilliance")

Rhododendron 'Taurus'

Flowering Quince 'Double Take Orange Storm' (Chaenomeles)


Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy

Comments

  1. Such a lovely spring mix, Phillip! Every time I see 'Miner's Merlot' I regret my failure to pick up the plant when it was initially offered in smaller pots at a reasonable price here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful blooms! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You are full of spring blooms, the blood currant is really spectacular. Well so is the flowering quince, and the daphne, etc., etc!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always been enchanted by Flowering Quince early appearance on a bare branch. They aren't shy about their color either.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm moving to Vancouver in about two months and want to learn how to garden in the PNW. I'm moving from Colorado so I know I have a lot to learn from you and other experienced gardeners. I love reading your blog and seeing the photos of your garden. Are there any books that you or the other viewers would recommend so that I can get off to a good start?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, this is a great place to garden and I know you will love it. I learned a lot when I moved here from Ann Lovejoy's books. The books are older but still good. A more recent one is "Gardening in the Pacific Northwest" by Paul Bonine and Amy Campion. It is good for a dictionary of plants that do well here. A must-have is the "Sunset Western Encyclopedia". I also highly recommend "Timber Press Guide to Gardening in the Pacific Northwest". I would also join the HPSO (Hardy Plant Society of Oregon). Let me know when you get here!

      Delete
    2. Philip, thank you for these recommendations. I'm really looking forward to being there and learning all about the native plants and how to have a productive, attractive, and nurturing garden. These books and your blog are certainly going to be helpful. (Sorry that I keep forgetting to post with my name rather than anonymous).

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts