Hoveton Hall Estate (Norfolk, England)
Hoveton Hall Gardens, Norfolk
Hoveton Hall Gardens in Norfolk offer a smaller, more intimate experience than nearby Houghton Hall, with a distinctly personal feel shaped by generations of owners. From the iconic Spider Wall Garden and its 1936 wrought‑iron gate to the peaceful Kitchen Garden and woodland walk, the feel here is more informal.
I don’t recall seeing the main Regency‑style house (1809–12). The gardens sit away from it, and we parked along a dirt road beside a large field. Even after checking a map, I’m still not sure how I missed the house—but we were here for the gardens anyway.
The Spider Wall Garden
Here I am with tour organizer Bruce Wakefield (middle) and his partner Jerry (far left).
Inside the gate, the large walled garden has planting beds enclosed by low clipped boxwood hedges, in the design of a web. The gardener's cottage (seen in the above photo) faces the garden.
In the center of the Spider Garden is a spider web pebble mosaic, designed by Alan Gray of East Ruston Old Vicarage Gardens (a future post on that garden is coming up later).
The Walled Kitchen Garden
Right next door to the Spider Garden, an archway leads to another walled garden, The Kitchen Garden.
Ashmanhaugh Wood & Kidney Lake
Leaving the Spider Garden and the Kitchen Garden, we come to a much shadier area with a woodland walk ("Ashmanhaugh Wood"), bordered by hydrangeas. This leads to a man-made lake called "Kidney Lake".
Hoveton Hall was definitely not on the grand scale as Houghton Hall, but its charm lies in its intimacy. If you are in the Norfolk area, I would highly recommend it.













Comments