By this time in the season, containers become a burden, and I regret having so many. Actually I cut back a little this year and don't have as many as last year, but it is a nuisance to have to water every day.
I'm not that good at combining plants in containers, so I normally use only one plant in a pot. Boring I know, but I drive myself nuts when I try to do combinations.
 |
| Of course, I bring home more plants and the only place to put them is in a pot. I stumbled across this red cuphea a few weeks ago. It is named 'Cubano Cristo'. |
This year, I've really noticed how great begonias are for continuous color -
 |
| This begonia was purchased as a last-minute attempt for some extra color for our open garden back in May. Yellow is usually not my first choice, but Michael liked it. It has been a blooming machine all summer. |
 |
| Another one that has had stellar performance is 'Waterfall ' Encanto White Blush'. |
 |
| A favorite is 'Canary Wings'. This one overwintered. |
 |
| I've used the 'Dragonwing' Begonia on the front stoop for years now and it has become a tradition. This year's plant has not been as robust as previous tenants. |
We probably have more fuchsias in pots than any other plant. I have been moving many of them to the ground and I've stopped trying to overwinter in the garage. I find that newer ones take off faster and bloom faster. The exception is finding one you really love and not being able to find it the following year...
 |
| Fortunately, 'Dollar Princess' is very easy to find. It is one of the best (I think). |
 |
| 'Dancing Flame' appears more pink than orange (if that was the intent), but love it for the wealth of blooms. |
 |
| 'Royal Mosaic' wins the award for largest bloom. It is about the size of a golf ball! This was an impulse buy at Fred Meyer. |
 |
| My friend Linda has shared many great fuchsias with me over the years. Both Michael and I are crazy about this one - 'Snow Fairy'. An expert on fuchsias was here a few days ago, and he told me this one is hardy. I will be searching for a place to plant it this fall. |
 |
| Another winner from Linda is 'DebRon's Mangolita'. It is right up there with 'Dancing Flame' for profuse blooming. |
 |
| Plectranthus 'Guacamole' is a favorite that I've replaced year after year. Last year, the nursery didn't get it. Fortunately, a friend had one and gave us a cutting. We brought it inside for the winter and treated it as a houseplant. It lives! |
 |
| Another favorite that we've learned will overwinter inside is Dorotheanthus 'Mezoo Trailing Red' (Red Apple). The tiny blooms are just beginning, but it is the foliage that is a stand-out. |
 |
| Another plant I adore and buy every year is Oxalis. I like 'Plum Crazy' but can't always find it. I believe this one is 'Molten Lava'. |
 |
| Another houseplant that perks up big time when it is brought outside for the summer is the Airplane or Spider Plant. Michael doesn't understand my fondness for it, but, what can I say - I love it. |
 |
| For years, I've wanted a skinny plant to go between the garage doors. This year I finally did something. I found a pot that worked and decided to dig up Miscanthus 'Gold Bar', which was doing nothing in the ground, and it is doing much better in the pot. I'm not sure how long it will be happy since the pot is quite narrow, but right now it works. |
 |
| Canna 'Panache' is larger than it has ever been. I'm sure the reason is because I placed it in front where it gets sun for most of the day. I grew this in the ground but kept moving it around. Cannas, bananas, etc. - plants with this find of foliage I have difficulties placing with other plants. |
 |
| This is a variegated Portuguese Laurel (Prunus
lusitanica 'Variegata') that I got at Cistus Nursery. I'm not sure how long it will reside here. Can one grow a laurel in a pot? Time will tell. |
 |
| Geranium 'Vancouver Centennial'. I've had this one for years and overwinter it in the garage. |
 |
| I saw this impatiens at the nursery and liked it. I envisioned it filling up this pot and really making a statement. Wrong! It has been a puny grower, but the blooms are good. |
 |
| Since our garden is rapidly becoming a shade garden, I am putting more sun-loving plants, such as panicle hydrangeas and roses, in pot (more to water!) This is Hydrangea 'Little Quickfire' and it is stunning at times. Right now, it looks a bit tired. |
 |
| Another panicle hydrangea, a new one, is touted as having the reddest fall color. It is called 'Fire Light'. I'm looking forward to seeing how the blooms change. |
Text and photos by Phillip Oliver, Dirt Therapy
Comments